• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Feathers

Dinosaurus

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Rene Leo Daneault
I have only had my Sulphur crested for a few months now and he is great. I belong to the Manitoba Parrot Club and this is where I got him. They never had him for long before I adopted him. He cannot fly. He has had his wings clipped really short. Yesterday he tried to fly off of his cage and landed on the floor. A big feather fell off of his wing and there is blood in the tip of it. He is not bleeding at all. Should I be worried ?

BirdWorld

Rollerblading along the road
I have only had my Sulphur crested for a few months now and he is great. I belong to the Manitoba Parrot Club and this is where I got him. They never had him for long before I adopted him. He cannot fly. He has had his wings clipped really short. Yesterday he tried to fly off of his cage and landed on the floor. A big feather fell off of his wing and there is blood in the tip of it. He is not bleeding at all. Should I be worried ?
He should be fine if he’s not actually bleeding. That’s horrible about his wings :( I’m not sure why there’d be blood at the tip if he isn’t bleeding, but if he is acting normal he’ll be fine.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
When I give him his spray shower he spreads his wings and it looks really bad. They are so short.
When I adopted my cockatoo, his wings were cut really short too. It broke my heart. But the good thing is, they'll molt out. :) (And now I have a flying Tasmanian Devil. LOL)

Sarahmoluccan

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
Sounds like he got his wings clipped by someone who didn't know what they were doing :(

About the blood on the tip of the feather that fell out. It sounds to me that it was at the of the cycle of being a "blood feather". All feathers need blood to grow during this phase its called a blood feather. Most of the time its tail or wing feather that can sometimes give you trouble if the break or are damaged is some way. If a bird is bleeding from an injured blood feather you pulled that feather to help stop the bleeding.

BirdEE

Walking the driveway
When I adopted my cockatoo, his wings were cut really short too. It broke my heart. But the good thing is, they'll molt out. :) (And now I have a flying Tasmanian Devil. LOL)
Haha yes! Same here. My umbrellas wings were cut short. Now he’s got beautiful full flight feathers. He doesn’t fly much though. Mainly glides. ESPECIALLY when his nemesis, the broom comes out. I’ve told him multiple times if he didn’t make such a mess he wouldn’t have to see the broom very much. But alas, he doesn’t care. He’s a glutton for punishment I guess.

It took mine about a year before his wings were fully molted out with full flight feathers.