• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Pictures Feathers falling from the shaft

FLFeed

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Pablo
Good morning everyone!! I would like to know your opinion on an issue Gandalf has been having during some time.
Context: My whole family had covid 1 and a half months ago, in that time gandalf was alone most of the time due to us being sick (everything was kept clean we just couldnt take him out of the cage which is really big anyways), during those 2 to 3 days he plucked most of his wings due to the stress and we took him to the vet; the vet said everything was fine as far as health is concerned and that it was an stress issue.
During these last weeks gandalf feathers have been falling, first his long right wing feather fell with some blood due to the shaft being broken while he was trying to fly (he cannot fly right now due to plucking) so we werent concerned at all since it was already damaged, we took care of the shaft and once it fell everything is fine.
however today he lost the other wing long feather (photo below) and some more feathers that have plucking signs (from covid time it seems). i would like to know if this is normal because it looks like a normal molt, however i dont know if you think the feathers look as a normal molting or not.
as always sorry for my english level since it is not my native language and thanks in advance for everything. im really worried
IMG_20220829_171803.jpg IMG_20220829_171809.jpg IMG_20220829_171755.jpg IMG_20220829_171823.jpg

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
I am not positive I properly understand your question but I think all the feathers pictured here were definitely chewed up by your bird at some stage, I do not see any blood on the tips of them so I am not so sure that they were all plucked out. I am of the belief that plucked feathers always have some blood on their tips as they were not ready to naturally drop out and were ripped out of the skin. They do all look a tad weird to me but I am uncertain if that is because of chewing on them or if there is another explanation for their appearance.

@Macawnutz

FLFeed

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Pablo
I am not positive I properly understand your question but I think all the feathers pictured here were definitely chewed up by your bird at some stage, I do not see any blood on the tips of them so I am not so sure that they were all plucked out. I am of the belief that plucked feathers always have some blood on their tips as they were not ready to naturally drop out and were ripped out of the skin. They do all look a tad weird to me but I am uncertain if that is because of chewing on them or if there is another explanation for their appearance.

@Macawnutz
yeah they were chewed during my "covid experience" thats why the top part is so damaged, and by the way the look all of them except the long one it looks like a normal molt for me (keeping in mind the shaft is a bit broken because he was playing with them when they fell off). i think i will wait for some weeks to see if he keeps molting since nothing has changed on him (mood and habits)

PS: ive noticed that the way i made the question was a bit weird. My question is, should i worry or is it normal that chewed feathers fall like that during a molt since it has been the first time he has experienced plucking and i am a bit worried that i could be something serious

Last edited:

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Hello Pablo,

Given that it has been going on for two months, I would be concerned. African greys are birds that are more prone to feather destructive behaviour.

is it normal that chewed feathers fall like that during a molt
It is common for a bird to chew on moulted feathers, so some chewed up feathers could be the result of that. You would have to observe him when the feathers fall to know.

Hopefully others can chime in with more experience.

FLFeed

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Pablo
Hello Pablo,

Given that it has been going on for two months, I would be concerned. African greys are birds that are more prone to feather destructive behaviour.

It is common for a bird to chew on moulted feathers, so some chewed up feathers could be the result of that. You would have to observe him when the feathers fall to know.

Hopefully others can chime in with more experience.
oh sorry i didnt mean to say it has been going during 2 months, i got covid 2 months ago and now is when he is molting the feathers. he is not plucking them, they are just falling and all of them look chewed so they are the ones chewed 2 months ago when i got covid (the feather chewing lasted 1 week)

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Ah ok, I had read your previous thread and thought the plucking had been ongoing since then.
If he barbered them back then, it is possible that he is just going through a normal moult now and those barbered feathers are falling.
Definitely something to monitor closely.

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
The picture with the three feathers appear to be normal molt with prior chewing. The picture of the single feather is different. That feather did not form properly. I have seen it before and it is usually a one time thing. Could have been damage to the feather very early or damage to the feather follicle. Keep an eye out if you get more than one like that.

FLFeed

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Pablo
The picture with the three feathers appear to be normal molt with prior chewing. The picture of the single feather is different. That feather did not form properly. I have seen it before and it is usually a one time thing. Could have been damage to the feather very early or damage to the feather follicle. Keep an eye out if you get more than one like that.
perfect thats what i was thinking, maybe a damage folicle, if it happens again we will take a trip to the vet

Pixiebeak

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laura
its really hard to evaluate feathers if they have been chewed on while still developing. I'd say likely jut feather destruction.
Check down feathers. If worried about something like PBFD often the little fluff shows problems first

FLFeed

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Pablo
its really hard to evaluate feathers if they have been chewed on while still developing. I'd say likely jut feather destruction.
Check down feathers. If worried about something like PBFD often the little fluff shows problems first
new feathers are totally fine, some of the old chewed ones are still there but the new ones are growing perfectly fine