• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Feathers after bathing

birdfloof

Strolling the yard
My cockatiel just had her first bath today and while preening afterward, she has TONS of white fluffy feathers flying off of her when she shakes. Is this normal?

April

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Oh yes completely normal,it's molting season for many right now so you'll be seeing a lot of downy feathers flying about especially after a good bath.
@Xoetix

April

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Ooh that I'm not sure on unfortunately. I tagged @Xoetix who has a young tiel let me think of who else may know.
@Kiwi's Dad @Khizz

Kiwi's Dad

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sebastian
Okay. What would the average age for cockatiels going through their first molt?
My Kiwi went through her first molt at around 8 months. I believe their first molt is around 6-12 months :)

@sunnysmom would definitely know

birdfloof

Strolling the yard
Okay. Is it possible that my tiel could be going through her first molt at 4 months? Or would it be something else

Xoetix

Biking along the boulevard
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Meghan (she/her)
Tteok went through his first molt without me even noticing because he's a freaking dustball 24/7 - throwing puffs and bits into the air constantly. He's about to hit a year old, so I'm thinking his first REAL molt should be coming up.

He's always dusty though, and little bits of fluff shoot out from him all the time. They're just a dusty species :roflmao: are they little bitty fluff that seem to stick to every surface nearby?

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
4 months seems a bit young to be molting but that's still my guess- molting. A big molt usually takes place around 6-8 months so I guess having a small molt now of the fluffies makes sense.

birdfloof

Strolling the yard
Tteok went through his first molt without me even noticing because he's a freaking dustball 24/7 - throwing puffs and bits into the air constantly. He's about to hit a year old, so I'm thinking his first REAL molt should be coming up.

He's always dusty though, and little bits of fluff shoot out from him all the time. They're just a dusty species :roflmao: are they little bitty fluff that seem to stick to every surface nearby?
they are like teeny white feathers. it isn’t dust, but just small stringy white feathers