• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Feathers Above Cere

Shilpa

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Shilpa
Hi, I'm a little concerned because my budgie, Chicky, has some messed up feathers above her cere. It looks like some are missing too. Chicky is a lutino. She is female and under 6 months old. I've also noticed that her feathers above her cere look the worst when I take her out of her cage. I have her housed together with Mickey and they are bonded. I've never seen them fight in their cage. They mostly preen each other or feed each other. I also don't think that there are any toys that could cause this. I think she was molting because she was losing a few tail feathers but I've never seen molting mess up feathers this much. This is the only spot that looks like this. All other parts are fully covered with feathers. Is this scaly face? If not, should I still be worried about this? 20201227_215134.jpg
BTW, the scratch on her cere is from an injury. It does not have anything to do with this issue.

Ripshod

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
I don't see any signs of the scaly face mite. I do see that either Mickey isn't as attentive with his preening as she deserves, or she's not letting him preen there because of her cere injury. She's likely trying to preen that area herself by rubbing on a perch, toy or cage bars - not very effective.
Keep an eye on it. Ask again if the area looks wet or dirty, but for now I see nothing to worry about.

Last edited:

Shilpa

Real Name
Shilpa
I don't see any signs of the scaly face mite. I do see that either Mickey isn't as attentive with his preening as she deserves, or she's not letting him preen there because of her cere injury. She's likely trying to preen that area herself by rubbing on a perch, toy or cage bars - not very effective.
Keep an eye on it. Ask again if the area looks wet or dirty, but for now I see nothing to worry about.
Okay
Thank you so much :) I was worried :whw:

Shilpa

Real Name
Shilpa
Thank you @Ripshod
Her feathers looked perfect today. But I want to know, just out of curiosity, what does it mean if a bird starts losing feathers around the beak and cere area?

Ripshod

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
Thank you @Ripshod
Her feathers looked perfect today. But I want to know, just out of curiosity, what does it mean if a bird starts losing feathers around the beak and cere area?
It could be moult. It could be any number of things. Without seeing it it's impossible to say.

BirdWorld

Rollerblading along the road
Yep looks pretty normal to me too :)