• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Feathered Estates September 2020 - Destiny

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
September 2020 Feathered Estates Highlight
:starshower1::starshower1::starshower1:

I am very pleased to announce this month's showcased member
Destiny​

1~ What kind of birds do you have and how many birds did you design your setup for?

I currently have fourteen Australian budgerigars (common parakeets), three Lady Gouldian finches, and four Chinese painted quail (button quail). The size and design of the aviary is able to potentially accommodate a much larger population, but I prefer to give the birds extra room to reduce stress and allow the different types of birds to coexist peacefully. 20200817_184153.jpg

20200817_153252.jpg

2~ Is your setup for a handicapped bird?

Most of my birds are fully flighted, but a few of the parakeets have clipped wings from before I got them. The feathers are starting to grow back in, but in the mean time, I have included ladders, ropes, and ledges to help the flightless birds navigate around the aviary and reach areas that would otherwise be inaccessible to them. I also have one bird who is not clipped, but she is weak flier. It is likely that I will always need to keep accessibility features available for her.

This is one of the rope perches I made, so the flightless birds can climb from perch to perch.

20200815_135636.jpg

And on the right hand side of this photo you can see some of ladders that let the budgies reach the upper ledges.

20200725_102301.jpg

3~ Are there any budgeting tips you discovered while doing your setup?

Honestly, I mostly just tried to not worry too much about the cost. I knew it would be a big expensive project and it was. When possible, I did the work myself and used available materials in creative ways. I built my aviary in an old greenhouse. By utilized the existing structure, I could reduce costs. Also, I designed the aviary to take advantage of existing features, like the raised planting bed and clear roofing.

4~ Is your setup changeable or stationary and do you add or make changes continually or do things stay primarily as is?

It is fully stationary.

I make changes as necessary and will be doing additional modifications to winterize the aviary in the fall.

5~ Where did you find your materials if you made it yourself or where did you purchase the setup and do you have favourite places to purchase safe toys and/or supplies that you find reliable?

The main structure was pre-built, but required extensive modification to make it ready for birds. Most of my construction supplies were purchased from Home Depot or Lowe's. I bought many of my toys and bird supplies online from various suppliers.

I got the manzanita branches for my perches from a website that specializes in centerpieces and also provides wood for aviaries and terrariums. I have bought from them before and have always been pleased with their product.

20200614_170241.jpg

6~ Do you have a favourite item that you bought for your setup?

I really like this hanging platform perch. And so do the birds. :)

20200802_091301.jpg

7~ If you made any DIY toys what is your bird(s) favourite and were there any failures?

The coconut toy on the right isn't a homemade toy, but I added the colored chew sticks. The parakeets had a blast destroying them.

20200622_130805.jpg

8~ Did you incorporate into your setup any foraging toys and how did your bird(s) take to them and was age or inactivity a factor?

I've dabbled in making simple foraging toys using paper souffle cups. The parakeets were able to figure out the easy ones, but they have some trouble with the harder ones.

20200720_090540.jpg

I also offer foraging trays using timothy grass
hay mixed with tasty leaves, flowers, herbs, and seeds. All the birds really like this activity.

20200703_095502.jpg

9~ What difficulties did you encounter, if any, and how did you remedy them?

One of the challenges I encountered was how to install drainage. I wanted to be able to hose off the pavers when things got messy, but I didn't want to leave a lot of standing water on the ground.

I ended up settling on a dry well. It is basically just a big hole in the ground that gives the water somewhere to go. It took a ridiculous amount of digging, but I eventually got it deep enough and installed the drain.

20200510_181148.jpg

20200510_190529.jpg

10~ What do you like least about your set up (if anything)?

In a perfect word, I'd like the aviary to be in a fully insulated structure. I love the natural light and open feeling of the greenhouse roofing, but it will make it more challenging to keep the birds comfortable in winter. Unfortunately, it wasn't worth completely rebuilding the whole structure.

If I could go back and change one thing about the current build, I would probably try harder to get a poured concrete floor instead of using pavers. The finished floor is uneven in some places and the cracks make it harder to get the floor completely clean.

20200607_143039.jpg

11~ What do you like most about your setup?

I like how happy my birds sound when I walk through the aviary. The project came together well and the finished space turned out better than expected. It is a lovely place to spend time with my birds and I think they are happy to have the freedom to fly and forage all day.

20200809_142444.jpg

20200817_153136.jpg

20200815_112003.jpg

12~ Did your bird(s) take to the setup right away or did they approach it tentatively needing time to adjust and do you feel their age was a factor?

The birds adapted quickly to the move into the aviary. It took about a day or two for them to settle in and become comfortable. The biggest change was the sudden freedom to fly, as they had been largely cage-bound previously.

20200708_190906.jpg

13~ Any future renovations planned

Nothing major at this time.

Last edited by a moderator:

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
I'm on my laptop with Google

BirdWorld

Rollerblading along the road
I’m on an iPhone and can’t see the pics. Great interview anyway!

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
I can not for the life of me work out why they are not showing for you guys..... they worked fine on my laptop and iphone and on another non members device I can see the pics however they are a little different than what I see on my devices. Sorry!!! I will try to get it sorted when one of the smarter moderators or admins can help me- my deepest apologies :(

Sparkles99

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
They load for me, on an old mac laptop & chrome.

Karen

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Such a wonderful environment!! You thought of everything!

Monaco

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Kelly Hill

fashionfobie

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
Great choice! You have done great work @Destiny :strhng:

Birdie Mama

Mayor of the Avenue
congrats!!
don’t show up at my end either but I just went back to the original thread again and looked at them again..:roflmao:

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Awesome!

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
congrats!!
don’t show up at my end either but I just went back to the original thread again and looked at them again..:roflmao:
Are you not seeing the pics?

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
I see them now! Congratulations and what lucky birdies!

Destiny

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Destiny
Oh hey! I recognize that aviary. :D

If anyone wants to see more pictures or read more about the build process, here is a link to the original thread:

I started work on the project in March and it was ready for birds early in July. The birds have been in the aviary for about two months now. They are very much at home. The parakeets are constantly chattering and (happy) screaming. The finches make this really lovely warbling song that is so quiet that it is easy to miss, unless you know to listen for it. The quail are mostly quiet little fluff balls, constantly strutting around at ground level, but the males have a distinctive call that is louder that the parakeets. They don't do it very often, but when they call, you can hear it clear across the yard.

I get so much enjoyment out of spending time in this lovely new space. I wish I had done this project years ago.

20200831_112738.jpg

I put in these rope perches to help the flight-impaired birds, but they have become a favorite spot for all the parakeets. I think they like the size and feel of the sisal rope.

20200821_191959.jpg

I have two of these platform feeders. They are very useful for offering all kinds of foods. I put little cups of chop on the platform or pour in seeds or hang fresh veggies. This platform is positioned close to two branches, so the parakeets can either climb or fly to it.

20200823_185607.jpg

I also use this platform as a feeding station sometimes. But since it is all wood, I don't like to put food directly on it. Too hard to clean.

I found this wood round platform in a garden store. It was sold as an artistic hanging plant platform, but I say it and immediately wanted one in my aviary. I love how it looks.

20200823_202002.jpg

I took this picture late in the evening, after the birds had "gone to bed" for the night. I generally don't go inside the aviary at night, so as not to disturb the birds. I can see inside through the various windows to do a quick check when I get home late.

20200816_164536.jpg

The pale bluish white parakeet is Misty. She was clipped and flightless a month ago. Now she can fly freely and reach any perch in the aviary. It is amazing to see how much her personality has changed since she started to fly. She was so timid and quiet before. Now she is moving around the aviary freely and acting a lot more spunky. You can feel her confidence growing with her independence.

20200831_112717.jpg

I can't help feeling happy surrounded by these happy gals. :)

Ali

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Alistair
Congratulations!!! Truly deserving for your spoilt cuties!!

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
I love it!!!:cheer:

Love the setup. Love that they can truly fly. A flying bird is a healthy bird.

Love seeing another little bird owner. And of course— love the Gouldians.:marlenesmile: