• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Pictures Feathered Estates Highlight - December 2017 - Tyrion

DQTimnehs

Ri-DQ-lously crazy 4 TAGs!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jennifer
December 2017 Feathered Estates Highlight
:starshower::starshower::starshower:
I am very pleased to announce this month's showcased member
@Tyrion (Annette)
:congratsbig:
Living Room Setup for Larger Birds

My set up for my birds is mainly built out of their cages and two play stands. It is set up for larger species of birds and for a larger area in the house because it's in my living room. I have partitioned off my living room and my kitchen with a screen door type of structure so my birds will be safe from my cats and dogs for their out of cage time.

1~ What kind of birds do you have and how many birds did you design your setup for?

I have come to be the companion of 3 beautiful birds. My set ups are designed for each bird. So if I wanted to add more I could but I really would need more space.

My first bird, Tyrion, a Congo African Grey, I bought as a baby about 4 months old from a pet store; he is 4 yrs old now and a total love.
Tyrion.jpg

He is in a 3 ft x 4 ft x 5 ft cage with 4 different kinds of 7 perches, 5 different dishes, a hanging net over his cage and tons of toys.
Cage-Tyrion.jpg

My second bird is Lagatha, a Blue Fronted Amazon who I adopted from the SPCA - she is a very special girlie.
Lagatha.jpg

She is in a 2.5 ft x 3.5 ft x 5 ft cage with 4 different kinds of 5 perches, 5 different dishes, and a hanging net over her cage with tons of toys.
Cage-Lagatha.jpg

My third bird is Ghost, a Goffins Cockatoo who I got through a great rescue he has tons of attitude.
Ghost.jpg

He lives in a 2.5 ft x 3 ft x 5 ft cage with 5 different kinds of 5 perches, 5 dishes, tons of toys and a play stand with a hanging net on top of his cage.
Cage-Ghost.jpg

2~ Is your setup for a handicapped bird?

No but I think with a little work and depending on the handicap I could make my cages work.

3~ Are there any budgeting tips you discovered while doing your setup?

Well with the exception of one cage my cages are second hand. The perches and toys have all been bought on sale or I make my own. Nothing is better than a good sale on bird toys.

4~ Is your setup changeable or stationary and do you add or make changes continually or do things stay primarily as is?

If I wanted I could change things around and move the cages as they are on wheels. The toys and perches get changed all the time.

5~ Where did you find your materials if you made it yourself or where did you purchase the setup and do you have favorite places to purchase safe toys and/or supplies that you find reliable?

A lot of my toys I do make myself and I get my supplies right from this site's own Danita at her store Things for Wings. Other things I get from the Petland here in town because my kids work there and their discount is great. Some things like the wood I get from my own trees as they are bird safe and I make a lot of toys from them.

6~ Do you have a favorite item that you bought for your setup?

Well it's Tyrion's favorite - it's his nemesis toy. Ever since he was a baby he has loved this toy so we always have to have it in his cage or he gets in a funk.

6-Nemesis.jpg

7~ If you made any DIY toys what is your bird(s) favorite and were there any failures?

They love all the toys I make eventually, sometimes it takes them some time to go after them but once they decide they like it they rip them apart. I guess if there was a failure it would have to be the cardboard tubes I put out; they seem to be the last ones torn apart.

7-Toy1.jpg
7-Toy2.jpg

8~ Did you incorporate into your setup any foraging toys and how did your bird(s) take to them and was age or inactivity a factor?

Yes I do I make these little Dixie cups filled with nuts and hide them around the cages or in toys. Sometimes I will load up skewers with fruits and veggies. They really like the skewers and seem to take their time with the Dixie cups. Tyrion is the one that goes after the foraging toys the most but I think it has to do with that he has been given them since he was a baby and the others have not.

Tyrion-playstand.jpg

9~ What difficulties did you encounter, if any, and how did you remedy them?

The biggest issue I came across was making the hanging nets. As you can see on Tyrion's cage is my first attempt and it's not so great but it got better as I went along. Also finding just the right rope to use on the toys was hard because it has to be easy to knot and some just aren’t.

10~ What do you like least about your setup (if anything)?

The perches in Tyrion's cage, 3 of them are dowels and I have been messing with other perches but nothing has really worked yet so it’s a work in progress. I wrap his perches in vetwrap all the time but that gets expensive as he likes to tear off the wrap all the time.

11~ What do you like most about your setup?

I really like the hanging swinging perches and so do the fids, that’s more the reason why I like them too. Tyrion loves his, he sleeps there every night rocking himself to sleep. Lagatha loves hers as well spending time there rocking. And Ghost loves to grab the bottom and swing back and forth screaming.

11-Swing perch.jpg

12~ Did your bird(s) take to the setup right away or did they approach it tentatively needing time to adjust and do you feel their age was a factor?

Well for the most part I really don’t give them time to adjust I just put the new toy in their cage and let them go at it. Tyrion has been raised this way so he has never had an issue. And I never thought to give the others a chance to be shy about new things. Lagatha was a little timid but now she just goes with the flow of new toys and things and really so does Ghost. I think it's mainly due to the fact I never gave them the chance to be afraid of it, I showed it to them and then in it goes and they are ages 4 , 7 and 13 so I don’t think age matters.

13~ Any future renovations planned?

There are always things planned. I would love to connect all the cages by ropes above hooked on the ceiling. I think that would be fun with big round perches hanging off them. I'm always thinking on how I could make this living room fun for them. We are planning on redoing the floors so no more carpet so that will help with what I want to do with hanging stuff.
13-Tyrion.jpg
13-Lagatha.jpg
13-Ghost.jpg

WendyN

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Wendy
Congratulations!
I love your flock! They must keep you very busy.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Congratulations! I like your hanging net idea! I may have to try that. :)

EllaMay

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
April
They are all beautiful, great photos of all of your setups! :congratualtions:

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Congrats!

Fritzgerald16

Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Jenelle
Love the hanging nets!! @Tyrion if you think your first attempt at a hanging net was bad you should have seen mine... it's too embarrassing to put on here :faint:

webchirp

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
Congrats...very cute birdies!

lyx

Sprinting down the street
Congrats!! Amazing setup, and I'm impressed by your hanging nets too!

Looks like they're all having the best time :)

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
congratulations! great interview!

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Congrats. That's a nice setup for your beautiful flock.

KimKim

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue

Sarahmoluccan

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
Congratulations!! Nice set up :)

ode.to.parrots

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Cary
:congratsbig:

It was great to see your set up. :D

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Thank you for sharing your setup!

Princessbella

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Theresa
:congratsbig:I love hearing about your birds and their castles! You have a great set up!

Tiel Feathers

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
:congrats5:
I love your nets too, and your birds are so cute!

Tyrion

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Annette Thompson
Thanks so much everyone ...my birds love their set ups Tyrion is always the first to express how happy he is just the other day he was singing to his food dish every word and song he knows ...he is such a character :bliss:

Aubrey

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
:Congratwav:

I love seeing your excellent setup :giveme5: