• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Feather Tether Safe?

Status
Not open for further replies.

allison

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Allison
I recently got a feather teather that was on sale for only $5 or something like that. It's for Kei, but I'm worried about his safety. I won't have to use it for a while (it's too cold) but I've never brought him outside without a carrier. He is fully flighted, and can be slightly "flighty" if he gets scared. I know that I've heard good things about the aviator harness, but I'm not sure if I've heard any reviews about the Feather Tether. Are Feather Tether's safe? If a bird tries to take off, will it stop them without hurting them?

atvchick95

Real Name
Kelli
in my opioion no they are not

we got 2 , one in the budgies size - you couldn't get it small enough Tweety just walked out of it (this is when I only had Tweety and Billy)

and one for Billy, He had it unclipped and out of it in 30 seconds Thankfully never made it out the door with it on. he was sitting on the couch removed it and flew back over to his cage.

They went right back to the store we owned them maybe 25 mins.

allison

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Allison
Wow! 30 seconds! Maybe I can use it for training until I can get him an Aviator?

Birdiemarie

Feather Snuggler
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Marie
I think it also depends on the bird and how well the Feather Tether fits and if it's the original. Ruby has both the Feather Tether and the Aviator Harness. The Feather Tether saved her life twice...once when we were standing at a street corner and a truck one block away blew it's horn and she attempted to fly off my shoulder just when a car was passing. The Tether kept her secure and held her weight with no problem. Another time we were crossing a bridge and she attempted to jump off my arm.

allison

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Allison
Is she a strong flyer? Kei is.

Renae

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
I know quite a few people who train their birds getting used to harnesses, it being the Feather Tether, and they've never had any problems with it. I've watched a lot of videos as well with birds wearing one and it's seen to be pretty safe.

Status
Not open for further replies.