• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent Feather sticking out of wing?

PearlTiel

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Pearl Cockatiel
She has this weird feather sticking out of her wing, it’s came out before but she put it back in a few minutes, it came out after she started trying to fly away since my mom was putting her back. Now she can’t got it in after a while and is sleeping sound, but she was in immense pain. I’m going to vet ASAP but currently most of them are closed, and she’s fine right now. She’s tried to preen it I think but she starts hissing and screaming in pain, I can’t even poke it/it can’t touch anything or she screams

Attachments

PearlTiel

Real Name
Pearl Cockatiel
sorry if this isn’t a big emergency I’m just really worried cause she won’t even let me look at it much

Fuzzy

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Roz
The shaft might be broken or it's just about to molt out. When Kobe has a wing feather that's just about to fall out, he makes an anxious noise each time he preens it. I think it is just uncomfortable.

PearlTiel

Real Name
Pearl Cockatiel
The shaft might be broken or it's just about to molt out. When Kobe has a wing feather that's just about to fall out, he makes an anxious noise each time he preens it. I think it is just uncomfortable.
Thank you so much, I feel way better now. It’s just that she screams loudly and starts hissing whenever she herself touches it

Toy

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
A partially broken blood feather can cause them a lot of pain. I don't see any blood dripping or all over her in the photo you posted. I've have my U2 break one & end up covered in blood. You can snip it off with scissors or pet nail clippers at the break UNLESS it's very close to the skin, then a vet should do it. My U2 had blood feather once that was broke below the skin & even the vet had trouble getting that one out, so it'd stop bleeding. You should have a blood stopper available in case it bleeds. Try wrapping her in a towel first. If you've never had this happen before by all means let the vet do it & show you how in case it happens again.