• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Feather question

DClark

Moving in
Real Name
David Goodnight
My Amazon was clipped pretty bad before I purchased and brought him home. Throughout the last several months he had a massive molt, replaced all of his tail feathers, and a handful of flights on each side. I just noticed the other day when his wings are closed there are some feathers close to the body that flip upside down and stick out the opposite direction. He isn't a fan of having his wings messed with, so it's hard to get a good picture. I'm just curious if this is normal ? I don't recall noticing it before. He did recently lose 2 more flights from each wing maybe 2 weeks ago.

Attachments

Fuzzy

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Roz
:welcome2:
I’m wondering if these upside down feathers are going to molt out soon. They sometimes stick out etc if they are going to fall out in the near future.

That’s wonderful you are letting his wings grow out. Depending on age and history he may or may not learn to fly. It’s harder for Amazons if they’ve previously been clipped as they are heavy bodied. What is his name? What sort of Amazon is he? :)

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Secret's feathers look funky and sort of overlap. We let hers grow out too.

When she isn't looking, I'll snap a picture.

DClark

Moving in
Real Name
David Goodnight
Those are flat covert feathers that cover the inside top of the primary feathers. They are very thin and flat and would push through to the other side if primary's are missing.

Awesome, thank you ! They don't seem to be bothering him at all. It was just something I hadn't noticed before.

DClark

Moving in
Real Name
David Goodnight
:welcome2:
I’m wondering if these upside down feathers are going to molt out soon. They sometimes stick out etc if they are going to fall out in the near future.

That’s wonderful you are letting his wings grow out. Depending on age and history he may or may not learn to fly. It’s harder for Amazons if they’ve previously been clipped as they are heavy bodied. What is his name? What sort of Amazon is he? :)
Thanks for the reply !! I just don't feel right clipping his wings. As far as flight goes, I'll try to do everything I can to train/teach him. I'll more than likely be on here asking for help and tips. BirdTricks channel on YouTube has been helpful as well. As far as the type, he is a Yellowhead amazon although there was some debate here if that was the case or not. He hardly had any color when I brought him home, granted he was baby. He is around 8-9 months old now. I've been keeping pictures of his color progression just to look back on and see the changes. He had a decent amount of yellow come in around his Head, eyes, and legs during his molt. That and some red and yellow on shoulder area.

1st pic is when I brought him home. The others are recently.
Screenshot_20240404_151830_Gallery.jpg 20240404_151437.jpg 20240404_152216.jpg 20240404_152219.jpg

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Gorgeous

Fuzzy

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month