• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Feather plucking

KevinKitty

Checking out the neighborhood
Hi, I have a Lorikeet named Nami who is 11 years old. Recently she has started to pluck feathers on her chest. She also waits for new pins to come and then she will pluck away at them and pull them out too. Some of the new feathers she will let grow out but it seems like she is plucking out more than what she lets grow. She has never done anything like this before.

I've tried mixing up her diet, got her heaps of new toys, changed the location of her cage.
She is only in her cage for long period of time when i go to work (8hrs Mon-Fri) the rest of the time I normally have her out of the cage and she gets roams around the house or hangs out on my shoulder.

If anyone has any advice/ideas on how to make her stop plucking I would appreciate it so much.

Parutti

Jogging around the block
Avenue Spotlight Award
One of my parrots is a chronic plucker/mutilator. My first thought would be a vet exam, especially since she's older and hasn't done this before. Some birds will start plucking in areas they have discomfort or because they're uncomfortable in general.