• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Feather Plucking

KakiJim

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Andrea
Hi all

First time kakariki owner, always had budgies.
Hoping someone will be able to advise?

My (adult) sons kakariki is now seven months old. He lives in a very large cage, lots of stimulation toys. Is fed good quality seed and fresh fruit and veggies daily. Comes out the cage and free flys for around 3-4 hours a day. He has always been very friendly ( and cheeky ) and will perch on fingers, shoulders, head etc. Talks lots too.

For the past couple of days, my son has noticed his feathers becoming a bit uneven on his belly area. He has became quite irritable, verging on aggression. Super territorial with food too. Today, he caught him plucking feathers on his belly area, which has clearly why the feathers were looking a little uneven. He now has a small bald spot. Naturally my soon is concerned about the plucking and there doesn’t appear to be any obvious reason for the behaviour? He hasn’t had his first moult yet. Any info or advice would be hugely appreciated in understanding the worrying behaviour.
He is still very lively, eating and drinking well.
My initial thoughts are hormonal? But the feather plucking surely isn’t normal, and is worrying.
Thank you

BirdLady13

Sprinting down the street
The males do tend to get hormonally aggressive at that age, but the plucking is worrisome because it could be a sign he is in pain and/or has a disease. A before and after photo might help give the community a better idea.

KakiJim

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Andrea
The males do tend to get hormonally aggressive at that age, but the plucking is worrisome because it could be a sign he is in pain and/or has a disease. A before and after photo might help give the community a better idea.
Yes, it’s the plucking that’s more worrying than the behaviour change. Will try and get a pic to post a before and after.