• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Feather plucking

Samson

Moving in
Real Name
Paulana Calhoun
What can you do if feather plucking becomes a habit?

Sparkles!

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Depends on the “why”

Why did plucking start? Medical reason? Emotional reason? Reaction to environmental stressors?

And with that, a full medical evaluation (including blood analysis)needs to be worked up. You can’t just throw every plucker into a collar or put ever feather mutilator on a detox program.

Most birds don’t just start plucking because every thing is great.

Samson

Moving in
Real Name
Paulana Calhoun
It was because his first owner passed away and now I have him and I think he just plucks now and then now but I’m still getting to know his routine

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
How old is this bird. Displaced pain is often the cause of plucking. A tumor, atherosclerosis, physical injury, lung impairment.

And what species of bird is it?

Samson

Moving in
Real Name
Paulana Calhoun
Max is 14 years old but I’ve only had him a short time his last owner passed away and I don’t think anything was done to help him stop plucking his feathers because his front is bald now and now he seems to try and pluck at his chest but there are no feathers there almost like a nervous habit and I think he does pluck his feathers out every now and then

Sparkles!

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
What kind of bird is Max?

Sparkles!

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
An electus parrot
Eclectus are highly sensitive birds. I personally have never had an Ekkie where the plucking *wasnt* health related. Diet issues, stress hormones that required medication intervention, and heavy metal toxicity have been common in the plucking eclectus that I have rehabilitated.
If you can, I recommend that you seek out a board certified Avian Vet. Eclectus are not a species that is just prone to feather mutilate due to boredom or grief. In my experience, it’s always a health related issue that requires medical care.