• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Feather plucking?

Khushi4541

Moving in
I got my pineapple conure about 3 weeks ago and recently I’m noticing that’s he’s shedding a lot of feathers especially the colourful ones. The previous owners told me he was 3.5 months old so I think he’s too young to be molting. When we initially got him he would lose maybe around the 1-2 feathers daily but recently he’s been losing around 5-7 so how can I confirm if this is from feather plucking?

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
First, it is uncommon for babies to pluck.

Second, are there bald patches or spots where you can see the downy feathers? If so, that's abnormal loss and a vet should be consulted.

If you're just seeing feathers but no balding/downy patches, sounds like molting.

Just like people lose hair everyday, they tend to lose feathers regularly as new ones grow in. Then a couple times a year they really lose a ton! This can be triggered by diet changes, seasonal changes, or even their internal clocks.

Khushi4541

Moving in
First, it is uncommon for babies to pluck.

Second, are there bald patches or spots where you can see the downy feathers? If so, that's abnormal loss and a vet should be consulted.

If you're just seeing feathers but no balding/downy patches, sounds like molting.

Just like people lose hair everyday, they tend to lose feathers regularly as new ones grow in. Then a couple times a year they really lose a ton! This can be triggered by diet changes, seasonal changes, or even their internal clocks.
I notice a few places where the white feathers are showing but I’m not sure I posted a picture so maybe you can tell me if it’s cause for concern. Also he has no spots like this on his back and when I scratch his head I do notice that there are a lot of new feathers growing in there.

Attachments

birdy.929

Walking the driveway
my green cheek first molted at around that age. he did look a little raggedy and worried me at first, but he grew all his feathers back in a week or two and is now as beautiful as ever. i would say to keep a very close eye and make sure it’s not getting worse.

Khushi4541

Moving in
my green cheek first molted at around that age. he did look a little raggedy and worried me at first, but he grew all his feathers back in a week or two and is now as beautiful as ever. i would say to keep a very close eye and make sure it’s not getting worse.
Okay thank you for the reply :)

Birdie Mama

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Hello and welcome,

Bailey jsut turned 7.5 months old and is going through his first moult now, but had been losing a few feathers here and there ever since I got him at 9 weeks old....seems normal to me based on my experience so far...:heart:

Khushi4541

Moving in
Hello and welcome,

Bailey jsut turned 7.5 months old and is going through his first moult now, but had been losing a few feathers here and there ever since I got him at 9 weeks old....seems normal to me based on my experience so far...:heart:
Well that’s a relief to hear! I’ll just keep a close eye on him to see if he’s actually plucking or if they’re just falling out. Thank you for your reply :)

Evey

Strolling the yard
How old are buddies supposed to be to molt?

Evey

Strolling the yard
Mine are all molding "Dad, mom and 3 babies(19 weeks old) all at the same time. LOTS of feathers everywhere!