• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Feather Plucking under Wings

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
The Giardia test took about 20 minutes at my vet, I know they're all different, why would you want to clip her? Just curious, I'm very busy will be back later..

CrazyKozmo

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Rebecca
The last time I had labs done for my birds, it took a week to get results. They had a CBC (blood) and cultures (choana and cloaca).

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Ok, I'm back, when my one tiel was diagnosed with Giardia, I had to throw away all my area rugs, deep clean the whole house, disinfect the bird room daily for two weeks top to bottom, what a chore!! The vet prescribed " rinovet" to put in the drinking water for 2 weeks,,it turned the water blue..but they all drank it...just in case..,, when she was retested, it was negative,,,she was a rescue and most likely came with the Giardia..she had the dry flaking skin under her wings she picked it constantly, and it got so sore, I would put vitamin e oil and aloe vera on it..she was on baytril and metacam, once diagnosed correctly and treated ,,she was healed...sadly she passed soon after, coz she was a neglected, ill treated thing, took me 7 years to get her to trust me..

RaggedyAnn

Moving in
Real Name
Karen
The vet called me this morning (Tuesday). She asked how Johnnie is doing. The inflammation has calmed down, the feather plucking is rare, and I fuss at her If I hear the little peeps she was doing while plucking. Vet said the results from fecal sample came back fine, no problem there. I’ve been reading Lisa Morrison’s books and it could be that Johnnie needs a companion Cockatiel. I inquired with my cousin who just got a new baby and I have to wait for the next clutch from the breeder. I will continue trying to give Johnnie more attention, trying new foods And new toys. Thank you all for your concern!

RaggedyAnn

Moving in
Real Name
Karen
The Giardia test took about 20 minutes at my vet, I know they're all different, why would you want to clip her? Just curious, I'm very busy will be back later..
I was thinking clipping her wings would make it easier to give her the meds. They were liquid and I had tiny eye droppers to get into her mouth. I was bitten hard several times, but we got it accomplished.

Kiwi & Co.

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
I was thinking clipping her wings would make it easier to give her the meds. They were liquid and I had tiny eye droppers to get into her mouth. I was bitten hard several times, but we got it accomplished.
Did you towel her or just grab her? Toweling will help protect your fingers from bites while holding her.

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Your gonna get bit, she dosent know what's going on,,,I've been and still get bit ,,clipping her wings? Sorry, honey, but why? That will only make her piffed, and possibly depressed,,I dont like to get into it, but, if given the gift of flight, would you want it taken away? Hope she improves quickly.

RaggedyAnn

Moving in
Real Name
Karen
Did you towel her or just grab her? Toweling will help protect your fingers from bites while holding her.
After being bitten hard (she’s usually not like that) the first time, i used a clean tea towel. She was still stretching her head a long way to get a hold of my skin! She’s a little stinker!

Love Birds

Meeting neighbors
Hello, My Female Cockatiel, 4 1/2 years old is suddenly pulling feathers out under her wings. I am trying to give her more attention, rolling her cage to my desk when I am working, or beside my chair in the living room. I wonder if she is lonely and needs a playmate? Does anyone have experience or advice?

i do have two parakeets in a separate cage in the same room. Two dogs. There is always noise and action in the home. Thank View attachment 367968 you.
My senior cockatiel has bare spots at the base of his tail and partially under the wings. My vet prescribed Ronex (I see someone else is using Ronex for his/her bird as well). It is a powder. I put about 1/8 tsp in one cup of water and stir. Then I pour enough to fill my bird's water cup. My vet wants me to keep offering the Ronex in the water for about a month and then bring my bird in again for a checkup.