• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Feather Plucking under Wings

RaggedyAnn

Moving in
Real Name
Karen
Hello, My Female Cockatiel, 4 1/2 years old is suddenly pulling feathers out under her wings. I am trying to give her more attention, rolling her cage to my desk when I am working, or beside my chair in the living room. I wonder if she is lonely and needs a playmate? Does anyone have experience or advice?

i do have two parakeets in a separate cage in the same room. Two dogs. There is always noise and action in the home. Thank B98F4405-2F0F-4A77-B61A-9AAE016124A6.jpeg you.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Have you seen the plucking?
Can you add a picture of the area you say is being plucked?

conureluv

Sprinting down the street
Bird’s wing pits are often messy. I thought my bird was plucking until the Avenue swooped in to help me. Shoot us a photo, we’ll be able to help!

RaggedyAnn

Moving in
Real Name
Karen
I’ve only seen the bare spots when she stretches her wings. Every time I try to get a picture, it’s too late. I’ve seen what I thought was preening, but she was also sort of yelping or peeping. I wasn’t sure what she was doing. The strange thing is, I don’t see the feathers on the bottom of the cage. I’ll attempt to get a picture.

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
I don’t think your bird is plucking with the description you just gave. I’ll try to find a wing pit pic for you- birds have sparse feathers under the wings and a few other areas of their body too.

Sarahmoluccan

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
Hmmm.... I have been told there are alot of nerve endings in that particular area by my vet. So it can be a red flag that something more is going than just a plucking issue. Potentially it could be pain related. Like @Shezbug said that area is usually sparse so hopefully its nothing. But if it is plucking I highly recommend you see an avian veterinarian. Its always good to rule out physical issues when dealing with plucking, and with the under the wing area I think its especially so. Good luck with your cockatiel :)

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
When my one tiel did that for a while, was misdiagnosed, a few times, fianally Dr. Stephanie Lamb diagnosed her with " Giardia "..not saying this is your problem, but, it's a simple poo test..

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
That is definitely plucking IMO. While they do have less feathers under the wing, it's not that extreme. I would have her evaluated by a vet.

Sarahmoluccan

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
That is definitely plucking IMO. While they do have less feathers under the wing, it's not that extreme. I would have her evaluated by a vet.
Yeah I agree. A vet exam to rule things out is the best place to start. I hope it's easily treated.
When my one tiel did that for a while, was misdiagnosed, a few times, fianally Dr. Stephanie Lamb diagnosed her with " Giardia "..not saying this is your problem, but, it's a simple poo test..
Very good point!! I'd do fecal test too. Ideally you want to bring a fresh poop with you to the vet. I know my guy's pooping habits pretty well so its easy for me to get one. I use use a little zip lock baggie to bring it in. :)

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Yeah, that’s definitely way less feathers than should be there.

Is it just me or is that skin looking pretty irritated too?

RaggedyAnn

Moving in
Real Name
Karen
Yes, i think the skin looks irritated myself.

tka

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Poor girl, that looks sore! I would definitely suggest a trip to an avian vet.

Plucking under the wings is a symptom of giardia, a parasite. The vet will be able to take a faecal sample and test for this.

Sarahmoluccan

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
Any updates? I hope things are going well for you and Johnnie :bluhug:

RaggedyAnn

Moving in
Real Name
Karen
The vet gave me two meds for Johnnie...one for inflammation, the other for pain. She seems a little better. I took a fecal sample on Tuesday. I haven’t heard anything on that yet...forgot to question how long that would take. I have been getting bitten quite hard with blood drawn. Yesterday I wore new garden gloves. I had asked for her wings to be clipped so this would be easier, but the vet didn’t do that.