• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Feather Plucking in Indian Ringnecks (IRN)

BlueNemo

Moving in
Real Name
Tayla
Good Afternoon Birdfriends!

I hope you’re all well.

I got my first IRN last Saturday as a gift for my 25th birthday, he or she has been home with me a week tomorrow; I have tried to ensure that he or she is as comfortable as possible, but can’t help but notice that some of his or her feathers on his legs seem bare, I’m probably being paranoid, but conscious of this issue as I’ve googled to see the extent of feather plucking.

I’ve tried to get a picture, but I’m not sure if it’s clear enough to see, apologies if it isn’t. Overall, he is very anxious / cautious (naturally) but I speak to him as much as I can.

I plan on contacting an Avian Vet on Monday to ease my concern, but would appreciate if anyone may share their thoughts?

Thank you so much for your time, Nemo & Tayla❤

Attachments

BlueNemo

Moving in
Real Name
Tayla
Hi, sorry, just bumping this if anyone has an idea? I haven’t caught him/her feather plucking - but I am finding small little feathers, but I’m not sure if these are from pruning

Kassiani

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I have a feather-plucking conure, so not an IRN.

Have you been able to contact your vet? How old is your bird? I hope that he might just be molting!

Angela_2

Walking the driveway
Hello there.
Can you see any pin feathers in his/her leg?
My IRN has small bare spots in his belly and his legs now because it's molting season in my place also he's getting his big boy feathers with black ring and the pin feathers are everywhere.
Do you see broken or damaged feathers in the bottom of the cage?
If it's plucking you will notice the big amount of broken feathers in the cage or where she/he stays most of the time
Sorry for the late replay i wish i had noticed your post earlier

BlueNemo

Moving in
Real Name
Tayla
Thank you everyone for your replies, I am so so grateful - I’m honestly so appreciative for this forum, although I’ve not been on here long, you’re all so helpful and friendly.

I believe he’s/she’s molting, little white feathers at the bottom of the cage (all over) not lots just here and there - his legs aren’t sore, but as he isn’t hand reared or tame (yet) I can’t help him but I can’t see any pin feathers at the moment!