• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent Feather Mite Infestation

marsleey

Meeting neighbors
I don’t know if there are still people following this thread, but I don’t know if this is related to the feather mites or not, but today I could see the skin above her cere. She’s been losing quite a few fluffy little feathers (she had already molted in May.) EEKKKK!!! Her behavior was a bit unusual today, she usually flies out when someone is eating something, but this time she just stayed in her cage (she flew out later though - maybe not used to leaving her for so long.) Not much chirping, and more than usual screaming (I replaced the wood kabobs because she already destroyed them, could that be why?) Though since I left in the morning she probably used up all her energy when I came back at noon (she is usually very active in the mornings.) I might just be overreacting, but just need to be sure. Also I’ve looked at what people use to get rid of feather mites, from the reviews it seems like a pretty strong chemical. I don’t think i should buy and use it until I’m hundred percent sure she has mites. Thanks so much y’all for dealing with me

Attachments

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
If you are still worrying about this time to see a avian vet

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Whatever is going on that is concerning you or causing you to search for mites it’s taken 10 days with no definite answer of negative or positive results- if you see or feel something isn’t right then your bird should be checked by an avian vet at this stage.

Ripshod

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
I'm still not seeing any typical mite damage. As posted above you would only get peace of mind from a vet visit. Bear in mind, even mentioning mites will make a vet more likely to prescribe a treatment whether they see any or not - a cover-all treatment just in case.

marsleey

Meeting neighbors
Yeps. Definitely will be seeing a vet soon (the vet is closed for the day, will call in tomorrow.) Thank y’all again for putting up with me

marsleey

Meeting neighbors
Well, the vet couldn’t spot any mites or mite eggs under the microscope and they said her skin is good under the feathers. It could be something in her cage that rubs off on her feathers.