• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Feather loss Myers parrot

SummerBird

Checking out the neighborhood
I have a very healthy 28-year-old Meyers parrot, I’ve had her since she was four months old! Went to bed one night she was acting perfectly normal and healthy, woke up the next morning and all of her colored feathers were at the bottom of the cage, woke up to a totally gray parrot. Have taken her to two vets, both were stumped first vet saying it was stress but nothing has changed in our home whatsoever. Second vet was also stumped but gave her an injection of invermectin. I asked for the vet to draw blood for blood tests and she said it’s very tricky to draw blood from a little bird because they need to be sedated and didn’t do it... Have any of you experienced anything like this at all? She has all of her down feathers remaining, is totally herself and eating well but when new colored feathers start to arrive within 24 hours they’re gone. Have any of you experienced anything like this at all? She has all of her down feathers remaining, is totally herself and eating well but when new colored feathers start to arrive within 24 hours they’re gone. Also have you ever had your bird sedated to draw blood???? Please help, I am worried and frustrated and trying to find out what is happening to my little girl.

Kiwi & Co.

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Is she plucking them?

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Have never had that happen with any of my Pois so can't tell you what is going on but blood work would be a good idea.
None of my Pois have ever been sedated for blood work.
When I was looking for a new vet for the birds many years ago only one vet told me that he sedates to get blood and I did not select that person as my birds' vet.
Has your bird ever had blood work done? Can you call around and find an avian vet or a vet who is VERY experienced with birds who does not do sedation or
fully discuss your concerns with the current vet?
If the bird is very stressed sedation might be beneficial but then if the bird is stressed sometimes taking blood with or without sedation may not be
a good idea.
Can you post a photo of your bird?
Abnormal feather loss or feathers that don't develop correctly can be symptomatic of Psittacine Beak and Feather Disease but might be due to other viruses, bacterial infection, plucking, etc.

SummerBird

Is she plucking them?
yes and no. It’s very confusing because within seven hours all of her colored feathers were gone...why would she only pluck out the colored feathers and no others, she still has her down feathers. Have you ever had any of your birds blood tested and if so did they sedate your bird to do that?

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Could something be scaring her? Are there any bugs or perhaps a mouse running around the house?

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
yes and no. It’s very confusing because within seven hours all of her colored feathers were gone...why would she only pluck out the colored feathers and no others, she still has her down feathers. Have you ever had any of your birds blood tested and if so did they sedate your bird to do that?
I've had blood drawn on all my birds and have never had them sedated to do so

SummerBird

Could something be scaring her? Are there any bugs or perhaps a mouse running around the house?
not that I’ve seen, her cage is in the front room so I am with her the majority of the time if anything like that was running around I would most definitely see it and she scratches and picks a little right in front of me…

SummerBird

I've had blood drawn on all my birds and have never had them sedated to do so
[/QUOT

are your birds bigger than a Myers parrot? The vet said that it’s hard to draw blood on a small parrot which totally confused me. I am very disenchanted with both vets that I have taken her to... right now I am watching her picking and scratching. Have you ever given any of your birds olive oil on their food?

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
None of my birds have ever been sedated for blood draws and that includes my Pois (red-bellied parrots and Senegal...pretty much the same size as a Meyer's), my larger birds (Amazons & 'toos) and my smaller birds ('tiels and conure).

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I've had blood drawn from a 54g green cheek, a 90g Quaker, a 110g Quaker, a 140g Hahn macaw, and a 200g Jardine's.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I do not give olive oil on their food.... Much better sources of healthy fats available.

Hahns0hmy

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Adam
is it possible the itch from the new feather is irritating her somehow? i was wondering if you tried putting her into the shower for a while to soak and see if it helps ?