• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Feather issues?

KiwiConure

Strolling the yard
For the last maybe a month or two, I have noticed Kiwi(8 month old Green Cheek) has been getting small dark patches on her wings, and the tips of her wings/where her wings are clipped (Aviary I got her from did them).

At first, I had assumed the discoloring may have been due to her molt since I read that can happen, or from climbing around, and I never worried too much. Now, especially since it seems like she isn't even molting any bigger feathers than her body and head, I've noticed whenever shes preening her wings that much of the feathers usually hidden from my view are darkening, and her longest feathers, just before the clipping starts (symmetrical on both sides) seem to be almost bare? Leaving just the "spine" of the feathers for most of it, which I have tried to take a picture of.
20210306_140713.jpg
Kiwi is still her usual self, she's fed a chop mix every morning and I'm in the process of weaning her off of a pellet and seed mix to just pellets. Her poops are consistent and normal looking, shes very active and good around the eyes and nostrils and is showing no other worrying signs, I'm wondering if anyone has experience with this and could possible leave any tips or thoughts? Thank you! :)

Donna turner

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Donna
If a feather is damaged it gets dark like that. Cheeky gets them sometimes from over zealous preening

KiwiConure

Strolling the yard
If a feather is damaged it gets dark like that. Cheeky gets them sometimes from over zealous preening
Oh! Okay, I don't think she's been having that issue with preening, but I'll keep an eye out! She also gets baths plenty. The one thing I could think of that would damage, would be she has a boing that sometimes when she flies onto it she'll bump into the wall cause she's a bit clumsy, but I don't know if it woukd affect it like that.