• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Feather issue

Jwise096

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Jordan Wise
Hey all! I have a one year old Scarlett macaw named tango. I realized today his feathers are a bit messed up. I do know it’s normal when they’re young as they don’t know how to groom themselves correctly yet. But it looks like this & I’m getting worried he might start plucking them out. Please help :(

Attachments

macawpower58

Flying along the Avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Shutterbugs' Best
That looks like a normally molted feather to me, but I can't see the very end.
Can you take a photo of the tip?
I also don't see any barbering on it.

Hahns0hmy

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Adam
i was going to say need to show the tip. is it chewed or normally molted out. can tell easy by that if its a pluck.

the root on a normal feather molted is clear usually and hollow to the tip cleanly pulled.

these are examples of normal molt

Attachments

Last edited:

Jwise096

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Jordan Wise
i was going to say need to show the tip. is it chewed or normally molted out. can tell easy by that if its a pluck.

the root on a normal feather molted is clear usually and hollow to the tip cleanly pulled.

They are normally plucked out just missing

They are normally plucked out but it seems like he is pulling out the little hairs on the feather (that is the best way I can describe it) the one on the right looks normal. But the one on the left is missing the left side of little hairs on it? Is that normal. He is only a year old but is pretty rough when he is preening himself

Attachments

BirdG1rl

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Mara M.M
The feathers look okay...but I can't be sure! I'm by no means a macaw expert, so take this with a grain of salt.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
Is your sweetie flighted?
The feather that has the damage is the first or second primary feather on his wing. You can tell by the shape of the feather that it's an outer wing feather. They are built slim and narrow because it's an impact feather meaning it takes quite a bit of abuse hitting things while flying. I do see where the right side has the barbs missing ( left side if you have the feather upside down like in your picture ). That would not concern me unless I started to see it on all the feathers and that is an unlikely spot to barber. The base while ruffled is normal too. They molt feathers because they get old and worn. An active playful macaw is going to do some abuse to feathers especially at that age.

When my scarlet was that age we used to say he looked like he was run over with a lawnmower twice. ;)

All the feathers you have pictured are normal. I see no evidence of feather destruction behavior, just wear and tear on a young macaw.
The fee for putting your mind at ease is a picture of the whole bird. :D Baby scarlet's are quite cute some of us need our baby picture fix.

The_Mayor

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Martha
impact feather meaning it takes quite a bit of abuse hitting things while flying.
I was today years old when I learned this was normal.

I thought the fact that my birds sometimes clip things as they're flying around meant they were klutzes.

Adorable, very distinguished looking, flying klutzes.

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
OMG Cute Cute baby scarlet head! They are so nerdy looking at that age! Take a thousand pictures of his nerdiness as the grow up and look wise and deceitful!

They are awful to their feathers at that age. That I promise. My scarlet looked pretty good by about 3 years old, my BG was like 4 or 5 before his feathers weren't so worn and tattered.