• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Feather health

Nuni56

Checking out the neighborhood
Hi, I’m new here. I found this website recently, the community seems very helpful, educated and kind.
I have a Quaker parrot; male, 4 years old. On a pellet diet: Tops.

Recently I started noticing that the feathers on one of the wings one began appearing odd, raggedy,curly. It’s only on one wing. The other wing appears normal. Thankyou IMG_6690.jpeg

Attachments

zERo/

Walking the driveway
Avenue Spotlight Award
It appears your Quaker is destroying his feathers.

Is his diet solely TOPs pellets?

I would recommend an avian vet visit to get blood work done to see if they’re are any medical issues that may be causing this.

Sorry you are going through this! It’s so stressful for all parties:sad1:

Nuni56

Thanks for answering. We try to offer veggies and fruit when we can not too often. But he doesn’t like it too much. We also offer some Harrison’s pellets too

zERo/

Walking the driveway
Avenue Spotlight Award
You could try grinding up TOPs pellets into powder and sprinkling it onto the veg/fruit you offer him.

I would still do a vet visit though, just in case. Any random, very localized plucking or barbering should be checked out.

Does he have plenty of toys to destroy?

Nuni56

Yes, he does. I will schedule a vet visit soon. Do you know if this is more of a behavioral issue?As u most likely know quakers are known for self harming behavior. Thanks

CrazyKozmo

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Rebecca
Have the vet check him out first and do bloodwork at least. Then there will be more information to help determine whether it's medical or behavioral...it could be either. Your vet will be helpful with this. Let us know....