• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Feather... Grinding?

Azalea

Checking out the neighborhood
My female blue Quaker has been pulling out her feathers, mostly the scalloped chest feathers, and grinding them up into tiny wisps that are a pain to clean up. I should note that I have only witnessed her doing this when she's sitting on my desk with me. She's never plucked before, lives freely on our back porch, and I cover up her cage at night. She is molting right now, which may be why, but I'm not sure if she is preparing to nest, has a disrupted sleep cycle, or just wants to spite me. Any insight?

Wardy

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
My female blue Quaker has been pulling out her feathers, mostly the scalloped chest feathers, and grinding them up into tiny wisps that are a pain to clean up. I should note that I have only witnessed her doing this when she's sitting on my desk with me. She's never plucked before, lives freely on our back porch, and I cover up her cage at night. She is molting right now, which may be why, but I'm not sure if she is preparing to nest, has a disrupted sleep cycle, or just wants to spite me. Any insight?
If she is moulting this is very probablly her preening herself and removing her older feathers.

What is her sleep cycle ? is it disrupted ? you dictate her sleep cycle

why would she want to spite you ? birds pull feathers out it's nothing personal she is moulting and doing what birds do when they moult

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Welcome to the Avenue! 1.welcome signs.gif

Azalea

Checking out the neighborhood
If she is moulting this is very probablly her preening herself and removing her older feathers.

What is her sleep cycle ? is it disrupted ? you dictate her sleep cycle

why would she want to spite you ? birds pull feathers out it's nothing personal she is moulting and doing what birds do when they moult
I do try to keep her sleep cycle timed with the seasonal solar cycle, and she's done a fair bit to make me think she likes my displeased reactions. I figured she was molting, but my problem is that I don't understand why she seems so... obsessed, so to speak, with grinding up her already molted feathers in her beak into fluttery little wisps. I'd attach a video, but it ain't letting me. I'm hoping it's just a personality thing or something.

Wardy

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I do try to keep her sleep cycle timed with the seasonal solar cycle, and she's done a fair bit to make me think she likes my displeased reactions. I figured she was molting, but my problem is that I don't understand why she seems so... obsessed, so to speak, with grinding up her already molted feathers in her beak into fluttery little wisps. I'd attach a video, but it ain't letting me. I'm hoping it's just a personality thing or something.
Both of my conures eat/grind there moulted feathers up