• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Feather fell out

Wally&Eva

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Carol
My birds have been molting and I’ve been finding tiny feathers connected to down for the last few weeks. Am i the only one that collects these haha. Looked down and noticed a large flight feather just perfectly laid out on my bed. I was so surprised. I put it in my drawer and when I couldn’t find it right away, I thought it had fallen. So I looked in a crevice my my end table and I saw another large flight feather!! The first one surprised me but seeing the second one there was really confusing because obviously if I can find 2 when barely looking, then I’m sure there are more. Will look more thoroughly tonight.

There is no blood, it’s a clean break and he doesn’t seem bothered by it at all. His flying isn’t affected and he still has his balance. He hasn’t been doing anything different. Eva hasn’t been over preening. I guess my question is, are all the feathers eventually going to be replaced or certain ones?

847B8413-FB59-424B-91B3-6BA1436722D7.jpeg 56635B0A-BFFC-4254-A1CD-10160A99536A.jpeg

Emma&pico

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Emma
It’s normal can will grow back pico lost four at once once he sounded funny flying but still flied the same if that makes sense was just more noisy flying

Wally&Eva

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Carol
It’s normal can will grow back pico lost four at once once he sounded funny flying but still flied the same if that makes sense was just more noisy flying
4?! They are growing up too fast. When Eva loses hers, I might cry.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Your bird is molting, it is nothing to worry about. They loose them evenly- so one feather from one side and the same feather from the opposite side will drop out very close together so balance should not be a problem, the only time I have seen balance affected was after an accident that caused all flights from one wing to fall out. Not every single feather will be exchanged this molt.

Wally&Eva

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Carol
Your bird is molting, it is nothing to worry about. They loose them evenly- so one feather from one side and the same feather from the opposite side will drop out very close together so balance should not be a problem, the only time I have seen balance affected was after an accident that caused all flights from one wing to fall out. Not every single feather will be exchanged this molt.
Wondering if he plucked that out or it came out on its own. He flies like a mad mad so maybe it was just time or maybe he pulled it while preening. I almost felt sad haha it’s like a kid losing its first tooth.

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Wondering if he plucked that out or it came out on its own. He flies like a mad mad so maybe it was just time or maybe he pulled it while preening. I almost felt sad haha it’s like a kid losing its first tooth.
Do your babies pluck?

The end looks like a normal molted feather to me.

Spearmint

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Elk [He/They]
Looks normal to me, ive got about 20 or more of those collected over the past 2 years lol.

Wally&Eva

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Carol
Do your babies pluck?

The end looks like a normal molted feather to me.
No they don’t pluck, they don’t even preen each other as much as I would think from a bonded pair. They do help each other, for sure, but mostly work on themselves individually. Because he flies like a crazy bird, he’s really agile. Eva is a great flyer too and he shows her how and she has her moments but she’s more like to stumble or lose her balance than him so I doubt it’s from an impact. I was just so surprised to see it perfectly laid out on my bed, 3 inches from me.

Wally&Eva

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Carol
I’ve been saving the little body feathers, not sure if that’s going too far hahaha but I figured I’ll save this first batch. It’s the first feathers they grew. I want to do something cool with their flight feathers when i get enough. Is it normal to lose like half of them or does it really depend?

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
I have tonnes of feathers put aside, I give them away to kids a lot.

What do you mean is it normal to loose half of them? There is a total of 4 feathers?

Wally&Eva

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Carol
No, it’s just 2 so far. Nothing from Eva yet. On a positive note, they both weighed in at 50 grams today. Flying like crazy and dipping and parkouring off me. They have so much power for little birds

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
lol. Burt literally just dropped another a feather- I don’t keep track of the days they’re dropped anymore but I reckon it’s possibly the 3rd large feather he’s dropped over the last week.
When they have a good molt it can be rather overwhelming to see so many feathers.
As long as they’re growing back in and there’s no big bald patches there’s nothing to worry about.

I up Burt’s protein when he’s growing new feathers. I’ve been told it’s the building blocks for all growth. He seems to love getting extra chickpeas offered lol

Reactions: tka

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I usually notice Ripley loses 1-3 sets of flight feathers within a week or two of each other. So 2-6 big feathers pretty close together. Then the rest won't molt for another 3-6 months

Wally&Eva

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Carol
lol. Burt literally just dropped another a feather- I don’t keep track of the days they’re dropped anymore but I reckon it’s possibly the 3rd large feather he’s dropped over the last week.
When they have a good molt it can be rather overwhelming to see so many feathers.
As long as they’re growing back in and there’s no big bald patches there’s nothing to worry about.

I up Burt’s protein when he’s growing new feathers. I’ve been told it’s the building blocks for all growth. He seems to love getting extra chickpeas offered lol
Oh, haha so I guess I was just alarmed. Picking up and saving little feathers this whole time and boom, 2 large ones. I’ll be offering chickpeas too!

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Oh, haha so I guess I was just alarmed. Picking up and saving little feathers this whole time and boom, 2 large ones. I’ll be offering chickpeas too!
You’ll have an awesome large feather collection in no time!

Spearmint

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Elk [He/They]
I’ve been saving the little body feathers, not sure if that’s going too far hahaha but I figured I’ll save this first batch. It’s the first feathers they grew. I want to do something cool with their flight feathers when i get enough. Is it normal to lose like half of them or does it really depend?
lol don't worry i also save the little ones, i seperate each feather into individual bags.

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
What can we do with them besides just hoard them? I have in a little container
Display in a picture frame? Set them in acrylic to make coasters or something?

Spearmint

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Elk [He/They]
What can we do with them besides just hoard them? I have in a little container
Theres a lot of artworks you could do. A faint watercolor of your bird and glue the feathers to the painting