• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Feather Destructive Behavior WPT article

Sarahmoluccan

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
A good article :)
Feather Destructive Behavior – World Parrot Trust WP

Now for some rambling thoughts of mine ;)

One thing I sort of disagree with is the whole non cuddling thing. I dislike how broad many experts make it seem. I certainly think over cuddling and affection can lead to problems. But what I hate about this argument is that they seem to treat all species the same. I definitely think it a more nuance than that. Plus all parrots are individuals, and what some affectionate behaviour may be over sexual to one individual may not be for another.

For example Echo like to be petted under his wing by anyone but I don't think he's trying to establish a mate like bond with everyone he meets. I did have a problem with Echo trying to mate with me in the past but I eliminated one area of where I petted him and that problem went away. It took me longer than I like to admit to think that over petting was the problem. I think partly because all of the talking points made it seem like anywhere but the head and neck areas were forbidden in all birds. I'm sure that's true for some birds but not all. I think I'd probably would have heeded that advice sooner if the conversation about it was different. I guess a just really wish there were a more nuance conversation about this whole subject.

I do strongly agree with giving big birds different kinds of toys, especially those meant for smaller birds. I'm finding it helpful to get Echo to destroy more of his toys where I give softer woods. I can see now I'm going to have to give him more balsa and cork. :)

Last edited:

EkkieLu

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Tricia
Lucy goes through balsa like crazy! She's a biter and a shredder. She's a rescue that was abused so it's taking a long time for her to trust me. She gets in an angry mood and destroys anything she gets her beak on. If you know any place to get bulk balsa blocks please let me know!