• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Feather casings

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lorylove

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Bridgette
Since I brought Darby home, I have noticed something. He wiggles his little tail A LOT. Like a little duck or something. He let's me touch him pretty much anywhere without any signs of stress or dislike, so I checked out his tail. At the very base of it, the feathers are still in casings. I can see that it bothers him from his tail wiggling, and he tries to preen it a lot. He let me gently pick at some of them, but I obviously don't want to do anything to dampen our relationship thus far, or accidentally break a blood feather. Should I just leave them until he learns how to get rid of them? He'll be seeing an avian vet on Tuesday, so I guess she can check them out then too. Hmmmm:confused:

Somebirdie

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
I dont have any advice, but sending love his way!

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
If you help him preen those casings off that is a form of bonding. As long as you are gentle and only do the tips and stay at least 1/2 inch away from the bloodline he'll probably appreciate the help. They don't usually need help with feathers anywhere on the body that they can reach. It's usually the ones on their head and neck that they can't reach that they need help with.

Lorylove

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Bridgette
If you help him preen those casings off that is a form of bonding. As long as you are gentle and only do the tips and stay at least 1/2 inch away from the bloodline he'll probably appreciate the help. They don't usually need help with feathers anywhere on the body that they can reach. It's usually the ones on their head and neck that they can't reach that they need help with.

Thanks so much for the tips. He's been letting me do it slowly, but has also started to break them himself.

Thanks for the love also :D:heart:

Status
Not open for further replies.