• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Feather biting that is making a patch

SamanthaP

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Samantha Pelletreau
Hello, this is my almost 2 year old Green Cheeked Conure Ari. I recently got her a sister from a Breeder and she is a Turquoise Conure 3 months old. Ari always had some preening and feather plucking but never to this extent where I see other feathers are chewed down this way. Is this stress due to the new bird around now? Ari has been alone with us since she was 7 months old and not we have a new bird here. Worried for my Ari.

Attachments

SamanthaP

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Samantha Pelletreau
Hello, this is my almost 2 year old Green Cheeked Conure Ari. I recently got her a sister from a Breeder and she is a Turquoise Conure 3 months old. Ari always had some preening and feather plucking but never to this extent where I see other feathers are chewed down this way. Is this stress due to the new bird around now? Ari has been alone with us since she was 7 months old and not we have a new bird here. Worried for my Ari.
Ari often gets into it with the new bird as well and uses her foot to push the other bird and some times she pins her down. NEVER seen that before. There are good days of sitting and preening but it eventually is short lived when Ari bites the other bird feet.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
It can be several things. Pain, medical, irritation, hormones, stress...

First thing to do is rule out medical issues with a vet check.