• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Feather Abuse in Parrots: Causes and Approaches to Resolution

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
This article was just posted the other day and is a super duper read. I truly believe what the article says about us just not going far enough to find out the true cause of plucking and many many times it is a physical problem that goes unchecked/undiscovered.

Articles written about the problem of feather abuse in parrots always seem to begin with a description of the problem, using adjectives such as "frustrating,” “disconcerting,” “difficult,” and “challenging,” among others. Feather abuse or “feather picking” as it is often called, is a tough problem to solve, and resolution is frequently elusive. Further, there is no avian problem as capable of causing distress to the owner. It is a painful experience to watch a beloved parrot companion destroy his own feathers. Resolution of any feather picking case requires that a methodical and thorough approach be taken to the identification and correction of all contributing causes.

Last edited by a moderator:

wezl

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Carla Rae
John, thank you for the wonderful link. I've favorited and will print out a copy to take with me when we take Oliver in again. I was already starting to suspect food sensitivities and it's great to know that so many factors can play a role. Thanks!

suncoast

Cruising the avenue
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ginger
Excellent article.

Ginger

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
That is great, thanks John.:)

Holiday

Mac Mama
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Tammy Jenkins, DVM estimates that approximately 80% of feather picking cases have at least one underlying physical cause.
Woah Nellie. That is good to know...

shellbeme

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Shelly
Interesting read :) thanks for the link

Gen120

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Victoria :)
awesome link, thank you!

Jally

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Sherry
I bookmarked it to read later. Thanks!

gayla

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Gayla
JL I can't tell you how helpfull that article was.

Pita has a vet appointment on Wednesday. I am going to have a full blood panel done...he had one in November, but his feather problem started in Feb.....I am also going to have any other tests his vet suggests. I took some helpfull notes that I will discuss with his vet as well. Things I wouldn't have thought of to bring up.

Fingers crossed it's just hormonal.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
I hope you can find a definite cause for Pita's plucking. He has a great life with you so I can't imagine it's behavioral. There must be an underlying cause IMO.

Timmy&Crash

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Rick
Great article John, thanks for posting am glad I found this sight so much useful and great information. Timmy my 14 month old TAG has recently started picking, I am praying its just because he has started going through his 1st major molt, but I am going to schedule an appointment with our vet and have some test ran.
Thanks again for the link.

Chihuahua

Link is briken,.

SilverBirdie

Moving in
The link is broken :sad11:

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
Yea that happens eventually. May as well delete the thread too. I can't locate it anymore.

CMThomas

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Christine Thomas
I can't find the article. Trying to find as much information about plucking as I can. Had my green wing at the vet several times, she said all of his test are normal and his blood work is excellent, best she has seen in any bird for a long time.
She put him on Prozac for stress. That didn't work he stressed more with us giving him the medication.
I have been told to check out homeopathic remedies. I have been looking a pluck no more from Kings Cages and I also found people that have used 6c of chamomilla.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
I can't find the article. Trying to find as much information about plucking as I can. Had my green wing at the vet several times, she said all of his test are normal and his blood work is excellent, best she has seen in any bird for a long time.
She put him on Prozac for stress. That didn't work he stressed more with us giving him the medication.
I have been told to check out homeopathic remedies. I have been looking a pluck no more from Kings Cages and I also found people that have used 6c of chamomilla.

Does anyone have any suggestions?
The link is in the post right above yours.

I can tell you right now that there are no magic potions to stop plucking. A healthy plucking bird is suffering from stress and frustration. Almost always situational/environmental/behavioural.

If you stick around and tell us more about your situation I'm sure we can help. Start a new thread with your story. All the information you need is right here.