• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Fears about X-Rays

Status
Not open for further replies.

vancha

Sprinting down the street
Hello,

Will probably be taking my goose, Grim, into the vet's and most likely will go the route of taking X-rays of her lungs and air sacs. My only worry is - I'm terrified of putting her under anesthetic! I've heard so many horror stories of birds going under and not coming back. :( Can someone put my worries at ease? Give me some information about anesthetic and x-rays in general? I couldn't cope if I lost my sweet little girl, and I'm being a really anxious parent right now.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
Did they say they would have to put her under?? It is possible to just restrain the bird and take the X rays that way.

Putting them under is dangerous and there is always risk. Some factors include the size and weight of the bird. The smaller the bird the higher the risk. A large bird like a goose has a much better chance of coming through the procedure without problems because she is a big bird. The anaestetic is dosed by the birds weight.

vancha

Sprinting down the street
Hmm, John, they never did say whether they'd put her under anesthetic. It was just an assumption on my part, because I've heard that x-rays of the respiratory system generally involve the need for anesthetic in animals... Is this true? If there is no need to anesthetize her I will be very relieved. However, seeing as she is an 8.5 pound bird I suppose the risk would be minimal. Thank you for your response. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.