• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Fearless the baby mallard duckling

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
Sorry no pictures didn't have my cellphone, that is dying, on me.
Let me begin this tale of Fearless the baby mallard. In my parking lot at the back of the building is where those that smoke sit, including me. I was sitting out there with my neighbor Sheryl and up from the creek come 2 drake mallards looking for their grain. Right behind them come a tiny little mallard ducking, still with his egg tooth intacted. This little one is with no mama that we can see or hear. He high barrels up thru the tall grass, falls over the curb at our feet. He snuggling up to Sheryl's fuzzy black slippers. This little one could have be put into a coffee mug he was so tiny. We sat very still and quiet, listening for mama to call him back to her and his siblings. NOTHING not a mama quack could we hear. We protected him for a long time and no mama. Pretty soon he runs into parking where there storm sewers he could have fallen thru grate and cars that he could have been run over by.
Ok little one, time to put you back in creek. I went recycling center and got a small box, guess who decided to follow me, nope I put my baseball caps over him and walked into recycling get a small box. He figured out there was hole in back of my cap and put his boogie on. I got the box, fold the flaps inward and Fearless the mallard duckling runs behind the wheel of a car. I walked back a ways and he followed. I scoop him up in the box took my cane and slowly walked him down the steep bank to creek edge, tall grass and plopped him gently into tall grass. I worked my way back up and guess who came along. Yup, Fearless the mallard duckling hot on my heels.
Oh you little stinker. I got him in the box again and this time I took him to the edge sliding down the embankment on my butt, with cane it's wicked snow points down. I dumped him gently again over the embankment and worked my way up the steep side. Sheryl could hear him cheeping to mama " Come and get me please." No mama came, so up that steep hill again he come waddling. Ok little one, this time I'm going get you and call wild life rehab to put you some place safe. Well wildlife rehab closes at 6 pm and there is no emergency phone number to call after hours. NOW WHAT¿¿¿¿¿
Sheryl is holding him in that little box, outside, I'm in the house calling rehab then animal control thru the cop shop. The 2 young cadets come and take him further down the creek and put him someplace that mama will hear him calling and he can't get up the embankment easily. I hope he stays safe and mama comes and gets him soon.
Little Fearless the mallard duckling stay safe, stay Fearless but find your mama and snuggle up to her ok, buddy.
I have rescued baby ducks from the swimming pool at my old apartment didn't think I would be doing it here.

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
I'm glad you were able to get him. And I hope you're okay, too. That was a pretty intense rescue! :bighug:

rocky'smom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
Didn't even think about scary for me, more afraid for Fearless.

QB1rd

Jogging around the block
Here's to hoping he'll be okay. Let us know, if you can, what happens next to Fearless.

rocky'smom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
I believe that Fearless the duckling got back with mama and siblings. I took the other side of the creek today there was female mallard with 3 little ones yesterday. Today she had 4 ducklings all about Fearless's size. I put down some food for them. So I think it is Fearless's mama.

FeatheredM

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monique
Yeah know...As a person who loves to read I think you have a talent for writing!

BirdG1rl

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Mara M.M
I hope Fearless is alright!