• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Favourite Veggies

KiwiConure

Strolling the yard
Hey all! I've had Kiwi (1 year old GCC) for a year this August, and since I've gotten her she's been very good for eating veggies, and also good for showing me which ones she prefers, fruits are another story--shes a little apple junkie!

Her go-to veggies she's seemed to enjoy were cucumbers, snap peas, carrots, broccoli and spinach, of course she got more in her batches and more variety, but those stuck out. To save me some produce finances for at least a little while because it does add up, I actually started growing a garden of her favourites! Snap peas and green beans, peppers, cucumber and carrots. However..while waiting for them to sprout and harvest I still had to buy them from the stores, and for some odd reason her "favourites" suddenly became unappealing I guess, now I'm really lucky if she indulges in anything :meh:

Long story short, I'm wondering if anyone else has experienced this, or anything I can possibly do to make veggies more exciting for her before it becomes a struggle to get her to eat any at all?

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew

Wardy

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
With the exception of Chillis Mojo can be hit and miss eating one thing one day and ignoring it the next when it comes to veggies. I just try and offer as much variety as possible to shake things up a little bit i have also started sprinkling a little bit of millet in her chop and this has been beneficial i am also looking into adding some spices onto her chop i do need to read a bit more about this however before i do it i can recall a thread on adding spice to there food but havent come across it again if i find it ill link it on your thread.

Wardy

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
This wasnt the thread i recall but got a lot of info regarding spices and other things available to add to food.

Wardy

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
This was the thread i originally meant

I also know @FiatLux adds some quite interesting things to her chop she might have some ideas.

Sorry for the multiple posts

KiwiConure

Strolling the yard
This was the thread i originally meant

I also know @FiatLux adds some quite interesting things to her chop she might have some ideas.

Sorry for the multiple posts
No worries on the multiple posts! I did a lot of research/watching on chop recipes before getting Kiwi, and I haven't seen those kinds of spices used before and I will definitely try them! Living in a small(er) town definitely makes it a bit trickier to add kind of "fun" things in chop I've seen, but those spices I'll definitely look into, and maybe I'll get back into looking at people's posted recipes, thank you!

webchirp

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
Mine will do this too even though I try to change things for them...try grainbake some days. I do a berry grain bake and they love it. I also slip in sweet potatoes and butternut squash.

Wardy

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Mine will do this too even though I try to change things for them...try grainbake some days. I do a berry grain bake and they love it. I also slip in sweet potatoes and butternut squash.
Whats grainbake ?

KiwiConure

Strolling the yard
Ooo! Would a "grainbake" be like a Birdie Bread recipe almost?

webchirp

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
Ooo! Would a "grainbake" be like a Birdie Bread recipe almost?
Yes, I just put a bunch of grains in, any nuts I might have, a can of pumpkin and a little bit of almond flour...it's almost like just throwing whatever goods you have into it. Maui loves coconut so I usually add natural and sugar free for her with frozen mixed berries or frozen blueberries, shredded sweet potatoes, shredded squash and then put water over it and mix the water in so it doesn't create hard clumps. The water should be a bit over the top of the entire thing and bake for an hour or so depending on heat (375 degrees). They absolutely love it and you can slip in greens too.

And I usually make two large baking dishes and then freeze what I'm not using in three days time.

KiwiConure

Strolling the yard
Yes, I just put a bunch of grains in, any nuts I might have, a can of pumpkin and a little bit of almond flour...it's almost like just throwing whatever goods you have into it. Maui loves coconut so I usually add natural and sugar free for her with frozen mixed berries or frozen blueberries, shredded sweet potatoes, shredded squash and then put water over it and mix the water in so it doesn't create hard clumps. The water should be a bit over the top of the entire thing and bake for an hour or so depending on heat (375 degrees). They absolutely love it and you can slip in greens too.

And I usually make two large baking dishes and then freeze what I'm not using in three days time.
Oh awesome! I'll have to give that a try as well! I've been looking for a Birdie Bread recipe for a bit now, but most of them contain ingredients I can't buy around here, thank you!

FiatLux

Jogging around the block
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Isabelle (she/her)
This is my chop. I’m a newbie so i googled every ingredient and then added in herbs and sprouts recommended on this forum. The Fonio seems to help keep the chop from getting soggy because it’s super fine. I have cooked sweet potato, a little bit of carrots (read in this forum that sweet potato plus carrots could be too much sugar), red bell pepper, kale and spinach. I add quinoa and a little bit of millet grains, Fonio, herb salad (@Sparkles! recommended), and a sprinkle of chia seeds. @Wardy: I’ve just frozen and defrosted my first batch and so far so good. The greens are a little soggy but the rest is fine. Pitchy does not seem to mind but let’s see if he starts eating fewer greens. To this chop I add the sprouts I bought from avian organics (a forum member) —Pitchounette loves these!
I use pine nuts, sunflower seeds and occasionally pumpkin seeds for treats.

Attachments

Wardy

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
This is my chop. I’m a newbie so i googled every ingredient and then added in herbs and sprouts recommended on this forum. The Fonio seems to help keep the chop from getting soggy because it’s super fine. I have cooked sweet potato, a little bit of carrots (read in this forum that sweet potato plus carrots could be too much sugar), red bell pepper, kale and spinach. I add quinoa and a little bit of millet grains, Fonio, herb salad (@Sparkles! recommended), and a sprinkle of chia seeds. @Wardy: I’ve just frozen and defrosted my first batch and so far so good. The greens are a little soggy but the rest is fine. Pitchy does not seem to mind but let’s see if he starts eating fewer greens. To this chop I add the sprouts I bought from avian organics (a forum member) —Pitchounette loves these!
I use pine nuts, sunflower seeds and occasionally pumpkin seeds for treats.
Mojo wont entertain chop thats been frozen

Gabby22

Meeting neighbors
Figures that my bird does not like frozen chop. No, that would make my life too easy! :laughing7:

KiwiConure

Strolling the yard
Figures that my bird does not like frozen chop. No, that would make my life too easy! :laughing7:
I'm not sure how Kiwi feels about frozen chop! I only make batches enough for 3-4 days at a time in the fridge, but she doesn't mind them cold at least :D

Wardy

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I'm not sure how Kiwi feels about frozen chop! I only make batches enough for 3-4 days at a time in the fridge, but she doesn't mind them cold at least :D
I will keep on trying all new to them isnt it