• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Favourite Lovie Toys

TheBirds

Sprinting down the street
I'm starting to amass something of a collection of bird toys but not all of them are as popular as I'd like them to be. Definitely feeling like I wasted money on a few of them! Anything stringy or made of cotton is just not appreciated at all .. Lyric has no interest in nibbling or preening them. Paper fibres are totally different though, because they can be destroyed :smuggrin:

The big hits in our household seem to be BELLS (usually rung very ferociously), foot toys (that can be thrown around on the bottom of the cage, or dunked in the water dish :rolleyes:), cardboard, and things that can be climbed on .. boings, and ladder-type things he can perch in. Oh, he also loves to nibble on a small plastic chain (bird store bought) that hangs down from the middle of a boing! Which also then has a bell connected at the bottom (it's totally a triple threat kind of toy :laugh: ).

The newest addition is a ladder with wooden rungs but strung with jute/sisal (?) that hangs across the top of his cage. He loves it so much that he sleeps on it!

What toys do your Lovebirds really go for?

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
. Definitely feeling like I wasted money on a few of them! Anything stringy or made of cotton is just not appreciated at all
Could they be repurposed into new things?

My little ones each have their own preferences. No toy goes to waste here because my youngest will play with literally anything.

birdy.929

Walking the driveway
my lovebird is SO picky! he doesn’t really like the store-bought ones.... he plays with them for like 5 minutes, then decides they are boring. so i usually make him toys out of newspaper, puzzle pieces, paper cupcake liners, and cardboard. he’s never really been huge a fan of toys, though i wish he was.

TheBirds

Could they be repurposed into new things?

My little ones each have their own preferences. No toy goes to waste here because my youngest will play with literally anything.
That's a thought! I'm actually hoping the new addition will enjoy the toys that Lyric doesn't, which sounds like it a plan that's already working for you and your flock :D Not that I'm complaining as such, my bird eats pellets and doesn't bite so everything else is gravy on top :roflmao:

birdy.929

Walking the driveway
i’ve tried all different types, wood, shredding, foraging, big toys, small toys.... i’m just glad he doesn’t care about presentation! he loves his swing and his seagrass mat, he likes jingling the bells on it! i’ve tried other bells, but that’s the only one he likes so far. he has a bridge in his cage he likes to run across and hang on also. he especially likes the cupcake liners. he also likes the bird kabobs! he seems to be more of a climber than a chewer. i tried making a “toy bowl” with some foot toys, wood, spare parts, etc. but it ended up just getting pooped on.

Leih

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leih Pearson
My lovebird is completely infatuated with bells! All of my birds will be really into a certain texture or type of toy for awhile and then they'll be suddenly interested in something else. Definitely still cycle those ignored toys back in from time to time and also try them in different locations. I've definitely bought toys that they have had no interest in until a year later. And like @Zara said, you can always tear them apart and make them into something different. I primarily make my own toys because they're just too expensive, but sometimes I'll treat them to something store bought.

Things my lovebird really likes are popsicle sticks (I drill a hole and stack them onto a wire, she loves to split them), those wicker /rattan balls and wreaths from time to time, balsa (pretty much a solid hit for all birds), corks, Zoo Max wood slats (when you get wood slats, they either are cut with or against the grain, one way makes them splinter, which my lovebird likes, and the other makes them chip in chunks, which my conure likes), yucca... Sometimes cardboard... It really varies, I think you just have to accept that you will have a ton of toys and toy parts at any given time and try lots of different things! I get most of my birds' stuff from California Bird Nerds.

Some current toys, and some foragers.
20201202_172044.jpg

Leih

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leih Pearson
i’ve tried all different types, wood, shredding, foraging, big toys, small toys.... i’m just glad he doesn’t care about presentation! he loves his swing and his seagrass mat, he likes jingling the bells on it! i’ve tried other bells, but that’s the only one he likes so far. he has a bridge in his cage he likes to run across and hang on also. he especially likes the cupcake liners. he also likes the bird kabobs! he seems to be more of a climber than a chewer. i tried making a “toy bowl” with some foot toys, wood, spare parts, etc. but it ended up just getting pooped on.
Definitely try the maracas too! My lovebird loves to shake them!

Attachments

birdy.929

Walking the driveway
good idea! i never thought to try those, thank you!

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
My lovebird customers seem to like bells, papers, balsa, seagrass, plastic charms, and popsicle sticks!

He may like some of the toys I have in my Noismaker category, or it may at least give you some ideas to try :)

Pris

Meeting neighbors
I have one of those hollowed out coconuts shaped like monkey head w only the mouth open. I stuff the toys that my lovies dont particularly like to chew on into the mouth. I make sure its tight and then sprinkle some seed inside. They spend some time trying to pry out the toys to get to the seed.

And yes, I didnt think that they would like bells but they do! Its a blessing and a curse.

I also got them a little basketball hoop mirror. The plastic ball is attached to a short chain and the backboard of the hoop has a mirror. They go crazy for that toy.

DoubleTake

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Brian
Loki loves her JW pet tip and treat toy. She is pretty rough with it though. She is on her 3rd one in 2 years. Only because I don't permanently leave it in there now. She only gets to play with a few times a week lol.

Also pretty possessive and likes to make a mess with her ring toss toy.

Balsa, popsicle sticks and yucca wood are also a fav. And pretty much anything that can be shredded because she is a hormonal girl right now.

jzarc17

Real Name
Jackie
my Lovie likes bells too! She likes to beat the crap out of them. She loves to nibble on sea grass, shreds of crinkle paper, anything with a straw like texture that she can nibble on.