• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Favorite Toys - Small Bird Edition

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Yes I have! I read your article several months into bird ownership (way before I joined AA) and it influenced how I was buying toys! Beforehand, I was buying toys that were too large, too busy, and thus too intimidating for my birds. I was getting the wrong size wood, like 1/2" pine blocks for my cockatiel and budgie. After reading your article I started simple and small and based on your suggestions and worked my way up. That was with my past cockatiel and budgie. For my birds now, it took 6 months of living with us for Sprite and Wisp to actually show any interest in toys, now they look forward to the monthly toy rotation. I'm still trying to figure out Erwin's preferences.

Thank you for writing your "Intro to Toys" article, it helped me to get a better understanding of small beaks.
I am soooo happy that article helped! That made my whole night :heart:

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
I have a dumb question: is that really called a "treat cage"? I NEED one! Finally, after more than month, just today, Lucy started working on chewing up some balsa slats that I had intended to make toys with, but... She won't really play with the toys in her cage. I think the motion and instability of anything hanging really throws her off. But today, I wedged a few pieces of balsa slats into a mason jar that she could reach from her play stand perch, and she went to town on it! I want to be able to give her a similar setup inside her cage, but (for obvious reasons) a mason jar is not going into her cage. ;)
It is called a baffle cage at every store I have seen them for sale in.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I have a dumb question: is that really called a "treat cage"? I NEED one! Finally, after more than month, just today, Lucy started working on chewing up some balsa slats that I had intended to make toys with, but... She won't really play with the toys in her cage. I think the motion and instability of anything hanging really throws her off. But today, I wedged a few pieces of balsa slats into a mason jar that she could reach from her play stand perch, and she went to town on it! I want to be able to give her a similar setup inside her cage, but (for obvious reasons) a mason jar is not going into her cage. ;)
One of the companies does call it a treat cage :) Stainless Steel Mini Treat Cage

PetFoster

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Julie
Thank you for the names — so excited to see how my girl might like it!

Chris1234

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Chris

Yes, they're called treat cages or sometimes baffle cages on most sites.

Maybe try some of the toys that are attached to the cage side a try too.
Mine love the balsa blocks that are drilled and stuffed with corks.
These are great from Seriously Nutz
There are also pine ones for harder chewers.

Emma&pico

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Emma
These are my lovebirds favourite toys And bells on a loop they love throwing them around
Millet seeds hidden in the toys keeps them quiet for hours
Boings are a different fav too jumping on boing onto perch

Attachments

FeatheredM

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monique
My budgies like to chew on things lightly, but the few things things that get them super excited are foraging boxes, finger traps, bird kabobs, and little hay roll things and raffia tassels. I would tell you what my tiel likes, but he chews everything:rofl:

BirdLady13

Sprinting down the street
These are my lovebirds favourite toys And bells on a loop they love throwing them around
Millet seeds hidden in the toys keeps them quiet for hours
Boings are a different fav too jumping on boing onto perch
Super helpful! :thanks: