• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Favorite toys and stimulation activities!

erineliot

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Erin Eliot
Hello!
I'm posting to discover what your favorite toys are for your birds? I'm talking foot toys, hanging toys, beak cleaning accessories, foraging toys, ANYTHING!
What keeps your babies active and happy?
Affordable options?
Trustworthy websites?
I used to have SO many toys for my Amazon. She really likes foot toys and shreddable hanging toys. She likes ropes and cardboard for beak cleaning. And her favorite toy used to be mini hair clips. I used to go to thrift stores and baby boutiques for discounted toys that weren't even meant for birds. Dice, toothbrushes, little toys, a barbie. Anything. But I wasn't careful enough. She got really sick from a metal she ingested and almost didn't make it. Now, I really struggle to find toys I feel confident are safe. My vet literally told me not to give her anything that wasn't made of the proper size wood and then to toss it the moment it splintered. This just doesn't seem very fun for my girl, or practical. So I'm looking for some experienced advice on the toys you trust and your birds become obsessed with. Also! Again, please if possible offer up some websites or brands.
THANKS!

LovieLouie

Sprinting down the street
Check out the marketplace here there are a bunch of awesome vendors. I will try to add the link for you.. I don’t have an amazon so I’m not sure what kinds of toys they like but there are plenty of others here who can help who do . I’ve purchased from blue birds toys, seriously Nutz, Oliver’s gardens, TNT toys, wingdow, California bird nerd, lil monsters. Always been happy with my purchases ;)

scrape

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Hello!
I'm posting to discover what your favorite toys are for your birds? I'm talking foot toys, hanging toys, beak cleaning accessories, foraging toys, ANYTHING!
What keeps your babies active and happy?
Affordable options?
Trustworthy websites?
I used to have SO many toys for my Amazon. She really likes foot toys and shreddable hanging toys. She likes ropes and cardboard for beak cleaning. And her favorite toy used to be mini hair clips. I used to go to thrift stores and baby boutiques for discounted toys that weren't even meant for birds. Dice, toothbrushes, little toys, a barbie. Anything. But I wasn't careful enough. She got really sick from a metal she ingested and almost didn't make it. Now, I really struggle to find toys I feel confident are safe. My vet literally told me not to give her anything that wasn't made of the proper size wood and then to toss it the moment it splintered. This just doesn't seem very fun for my girl, or practical. So I'm looking for some experienced advice on the toys you trust and your birds become obsessed with. Also! Again, please if possible offer up some websites or brands.
THANKS!
My Too does the splintering around here. I like picking something out for him whenever I go to a dollar or thrift store. He is very destructive and really appreciates new things. I have a lot of foot toys and hanging toys. I am still figuring out his preferences.
baby toys, teething rings (a FAVORITE), dog toys, natural or plastic baskets, beads, finger traps, popsicle sticks
I watch out for anything painted, metal or with string/rope.
I also like to recycle stuff. My Too loves bottle caps, so I save all I can get my hands on. I recycle straws, cardboard (cereal boxes!), paper, plastic utensils, etc.
There are a lot of store bought toys out there. I like buying toy parts.

Sparkles!

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Stick with items from our vendors. They’re all independent, small business owners who really care about the bird on the receiving end of the shipment.

I personally can vouch for: @Mizzely who owns Lil Monsters- she has a very cool monthly subscription box that you can tailor 100% to size, material, price. @Macawnutz owns Seriously Nutz -who makes my crew’s favorite rainbow hanging wood toys as well as their number 1 favorite foot toys (my flock can’t get enough of!) Plus, the shipping paper she sends out my fids play with for a month at least afterwards!! @Laurie has The Best Bird Toys- tbbtoys.com- and her plastic toys are out of this world. One of my small guys can’t sleep without his special hanging tube purchased from her shop. Her foot toys? My crews uses them while bathing! They can’t be without her plastics now that they’ve tried them. @Jan she owns Blu’s Bird Toys and all of her items are premium stainless steel. Dishwasher safe, they sanitize easily, and will last forever. Have no idea how she’s still in business- because those toys seriously are long lasting. Buy a bell for your Zon!! And 1000% never any metals worries- because everything she uses is stainless. @calibird She owns California Bird Nerds and she has some pre made toys, but where her store really shines is all.the.pieces!! Buy replacement straws, sticks, willow balls, wicker stars, mahogany pods, sola sticks,… the list goes on forever. And she ships lightening fast! Last but certainly not least is @Love My Zons. She’s great for food purchases as well as some toy inventory. You said you were thinking of branching out in diet as well- you can purchase food and toys in one stop and not worry about pest bugs/moths or old stock getting sent.

I hope I didn’t forget anyone. These above vendors have been amazing for my feathered family. If you’re looking for safe items, and want good quality customer service too- you can’t go wrong with our AA vendors.

Sparkles99

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
All of the ones I’ve tried are good. The prices are good too. Gives you an idea of how much stores mark stuff up when it’s inferior quality but costs the same.

Shannan

Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Shannan
I agree with Sparkles. As far Walter, he loves his stainless steel keys and the foot toys. He is very picky about his chewing toys preferring only the 1/4 chippy pine. I have also added little foraging cups and he loves looking for his treats. Cardboard is always a favorite for Walter and he actually loves to shred the paper towels I use to line his cage. Just like kids, you can spend a fortune on the toys but it is the box that captures their attention. I am sorry your bird got sick. That is my worry so I stick to the AA vendors.

erineliot

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Erin Eliot
Thank you all for your replies! I'm not receiving notifications for some reason, but I'm about to read the responses now!

erineliot

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Erin Eliot
Check out the marketplace here there are a bunch of awesome vendors. I will try to add the link for you.. I don’t have an amazon so I’m not sure what kinds of toys they like but there are plenty of others here who can help who do . I’ve purchased from blue birds toys, seriously Nutz, Oliver’s gardens, TNT toys, wingdow, California bird nerd, lil monsters. Always been happy with my purchases ;)

Thank you so much!

erineliot

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Erin Eliot
My Too does the splintering around here. I like picking something out for him whenever I go to a dollar or thrift store. He is very destructive and really appreciates new things. I have a lot of foot toys and hanging toys. I am still figuring out his preferences.
baby toys, teething rings (a FAVORITE), dog toys, natural or plastic baskets, beads, finger traps, popsicle sticks
I watch out for anything painted, metal or with string/rope.
I also like to recycle stuff. My Too loves bottle caps, so I save all I can get my hands on. I recycle straws, cardboard (cereal boxes!), paper, plastic utensils, etc.
There are a lot of store bought toys out there. I like buying toy parts.
Okay, if someone asked me this question, that's exactly everything I would've said about my Henri. Yay!

erineliot

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Erin Eliot
Stick with items from our vendors. They’re all independent, small business owners who really care about the bird on the receiving end of the shipment.

I personally can vouch for: @Mizzely who owns Lil Monsters- she has a very cool monthly subscription box that you can tailor 100% to size, material, price. @Macawnutz owns Seriously Nutz -who makes my crew’s favorite rainbow hanging wood toys as well as their number 1 favorite foot toys (my flock can’t get enough of!) Plus, the shipping paper she sends out my fids play with for a month at least afterwards!! @Laurie has The Best Bird Toys- tbbtoys.com- and her plastic toys are out of this world. One of my small guys can’t sleep without his special hanging tube purchased from her shop. Her foot toys? My crews uses them while bathing! They can’t be without her plastics now that they’ve tried them. @Jan she owns Blu’s Bird Toys and all of her items are premium stainless steel. Dishwasher safe, they sanitize easily, and will last forever. Have no idea how she’s still in business- because those toys seriously are long lasting. Buy a bell for your Zon!! And 1000% never any metals worries- because everything she uses is stainless. @calibird She owns California Bird Nerds and she has some pre made toys, but where her store really shines is all.the.pieces!! Buy replacement straws, sticks, willow balls, wicker stars, mahogany pods, sola sticks,… the list goes on forever. And she ships lightening fast! Last but certainly not least is @Love My Zons. She’s great for food purchases as well as some toy inventory. You said you were thinking of branching out in diet as well- you can purchase food and toys in one stop and not worry about pest bugs/moths or old stock getting sent.

I hope I didn’t forget anyone. These above vendors have been amazing for my feathered family. If you’re looking for safe items, and want good quality customer service too- you can’t go wrong with our AA vendors.
THIS IS AWESOME! THANK YOU!