• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Favorite teflon-free rice cooker?

GreenThing

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Kat
I accidentally made a horrifying science experiment out of some white rice I forgot I made (I do not remember making this rice... the joys of ADHD...), and then had the second, swift realization that I made rice in a non-stick pot in an apartment with a bird. I'd boxed up our cookware and even our ironing board covers, checked the model of my sister's hairdryer, but I somehow totally forgot about the coating on the inner cooking pot. :arghh:

To be fair, the point of a rice cooker is not to continue heating but to maintain a constant temperature, so they are possibly one of the safest non-stick items you could use (I've left mine running before because after cooking it defaults to a very low temp "keep warm" setting that is too low to burn anything-- you'll just get very dry, crunchy rice), but I'd still like to replace it!

I have a ceramic pot version bookmarked, but just wanted to see if anyone has a favorite model they use or could recommend. Thank you!

Hermesbird

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Cat
I use what I think is an cast iron rice pot I got from a Spanish supermarket. It could also be iron. One thing for sure is it’s not nonstick lol

Chomskypom

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Chom (pronouns they/them)
I actually went DEEP into the rabbithole for this, trying to find a 1 to 1 replacement of the style I’m most used to. And I succeeded! We have this one and love it: Amazon.com: Aroma Housewares Select Stainless Rice Cooker & Warmer with Uncoated Inner Pot, 6-Cup(cooked) / 1.2Qt, ARC-753SG: Rice Cooker Stainless Steel: Kitchen & Dining

and if you’re having trouble finding plain old uncoated aluminum or stainless steel cookie sheets, loaf pans, muffin tins, etc, I got all mine at a specialty restaurant supply store for cheap!

GreenThing

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Kat
I actually went DEEP into the rabbithole for this, trying to find a 1 to 1 replacement of the style I’m most used to. And I succeeded! We have this one and love it: Amazon.com: Aroma Housewares Select Stainless Rice Cooker & Warmer with Uncoated Inner Pot, 6-Cup(cooked) / 1.2Qt, ARC-753SG: Rice Cooker Stainless Steel: Kitchen & Dining

and if you’re having trouble finding plain old uncoated aluminum or stainless steel cookie sheets, loaf pans, muffin tins, etc, I got all mine at a specialty restaurant supply store for cheap!
This is great! I love to make onigiri for work, and I don't think I could go back to pre-rice cooker days. Especially glad this one works because it looks super affordable! Woohoo!

Tip for cookie sheets is great, too-- I was sad to give up my Silpat but it just means a little extra cleaning.

Chomskypom

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Chom (pronouns they/them)
I was happy to find it because the inner pot isn’t too heavy. I have bad wrists, and lifting dense/heavy materials like cast iron and ceramic can be tough for me some days. I kept picturing myself dropping a ceramic inner pot and chipping it beyond usability :scared2:

I was under the impression that a Silpat was safe because it’s silicone? I don’t have them any more for unrelated reasons but I was looking at silicone mini loaf pans because I thought that material was okay. Back on the research train!

clarousel

I cook my rice in a steamer and it's so much better than a rice cooker! The rice is much fluffier and it will never burn. Something you could consider if you can't find a suitable rice cooker :)

Kori

Walking the driveway
My rice cooker is over 18 years old now and will eventually need replacing… I’m dreading it because most are coated. If any Japan peeps read this and know of any safe ones, please post on this thread, even if it’s bit old. Onegaishimasu!

GreenThing

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Kat
My rice cooker is over 18 years old now and will eventually need replacing… I’m dreading it because most are coated. If any Japan peeps read this and know of any safe ones, please post on this thread, even if it’s bit old. Onegaishimasu!
I know Tiger and Zojirushi make stainless models! A lot of the ones I looked at were specifically Japanese brands-- because they're so good!

Sparkles99

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
I cook rice on the stove. If you get the water right & fluff it when you’re done, it’ll be perfect every time. No need for anything other than a pot.

Kori

Walking the driveway
I know Tiger and Zojirushi make stainless models! A lot of the ones I looked at were specifically Japanese brands-- because they're so good!
Awesome tip - thank you!! Zojirushi is the dream rice cooker, right. Had no idea there were stainless models. I'll remember that for when ours finally bites the dust.

Kori

Walking the driveway
I cook rice on the stove. If you get the water right & fluff it when you’re done, it’ll be perfect every time. No need for anything other than a pot.
Ahh but once you've had a rice cooker there's no going back.... the ease, the perfection every
time, the timer mode.... We make rice everyday so it's definitely a good investment.

flyzipper

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Steve
I cook rice on the stove.
Same -- I am a minimalist in the kitchen and refuse to buy gadgets when an existing multi-purpose option (like a stainless steel pot) is available.
Cooking it frequently means the measuring, temperature and time becomes automatic.

GreenThing

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Kat
Ahh but once you've had a rice cooker there's no going back.... the ease, the perfection every
time, the timer mode.... We make rice everyday so it's definitely a good investment.
Agreed!! Agreed!! I think there are different cultural expectations of how rice should turn out, too, my friend and college roommate was Korean and we'd have rice and kimchi on the Sundays the kitchen was closed, and she made juk for me when I was sick a few times-- sticky rice from a rice cooker is one of the most perfect and comforting foods in the whole world.

Kori

Walking the driveway
Agreed!! Agreed!! I think there are different cultural expectations of how rice should turn out, too,
Yes! When I have stove cooked rice back in NZ, it’s perfect for them but still a bit wet compared to what we eat here.
Do Koreans usually eat a short grain rice too?

GreenThing

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Kat
Yes! When I have stove cooked rice back in NZ, it’s perfect for them but still a bit wet compared to what we eat here.
Do Koreans usually eat a short grain rice too?
Yes! And as I as I learned from them, prepared pretty identically-- definitely sticky with distinct grains (unless it's porridge), never mushy/"fluffy". I remember reading somewhere that there was archeological evidence that suggested domesticated rice strains had been found in Korea that pre-dated the cultivars in China, cue lots of heated debate.

Kori

Walking the driveway
Yes! And as I as I learned from them, prepared pretty identically-- definitely sticky with distinct grains (unless it's porridge), never mushy/"fluffy". I remember reading somewhere that there was archeological evidence that suggested domesticated rice strains had been found in Korea that pre-dated the cultivars in China, cue lots of heated debate.
I can imagine lol!
I make bibimbap a couple of times a month. Love it. Wish I had visited Korea while I was still well enough to travel.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I’ve heard instant pots have a similar concern… some have non stick coatings.
If you purchase Instant Pot brand pressure cookers, they all come with a stainless steel pot. You can buy a non stick one, but it is an additional accessory.

Other brands of pressure cookers may not be safe. But Instant Pot brand is.