• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Favorite seeds for sprouting?

KimD

Checking out the neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kim
Hi everyone, I've been getting great info and advice from these forums for a couple of years, but this is my first actual post, so bear with me! LOL I know there are already several threads here on sprouting, but they're awfully long for me to sort through and some are getting pretty old. I just began sprouting for my birds (Rocky, yellow-crowned Amazon, 28; Blah, white-faced cockatiel, 17 and Jesse, CAG, 15) and I had great results with wheat berries and lentils, but I'm not sure about seeds. My first attempt I mixed a few varieties with similar sprouting times and put them in a sprouting tray but after a day or so they looked and smelled funky (I was rinsing 2-3 times a day), so I dumped them out and started again, only this time I placed them in separate trays. The sesame seeds are starting to sprout, no sign of life from the oat groats yet and the pumpkin seeds turned out to be the smelly culprits so I dumped them out and crossed them off my list. What I'm curious about is what everyone's favorite seeds are for sprouting? What have you had the best luck with? What doesn't work out well for you? What do your fids like best? My guys are loving the wheat berries and lentils, and I'm anxious to broaden their horizons! :joyful:

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Oh and don't try to sprout a mix the has chia seeds or flax seeds... They gel up and will smother the other seeds

EkkieLu

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Tricia
This one is my favorite mix, hands down

Amber Waves of Grain

For trying out new stuff I really enjoyed this set

The Sprout House Assorted Organic Sprouting Seeds Mixes Sample, Pack of 12 Amazon.com : The Sprout House Assorted Organic Sprouting Seeds Mixes Sample, Pack of 12 : Plant Seed And Flower Products : Garden & Outdoor

I learned my favorite seed to sprout might be fenugreek... It smells like mple syrup!

Broccoli sprouts are always really popular too
I'm going to try that Shawna! Thanks for sharing!

KimD

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kim
Oh and don't try to sprout a mix the has chia seeds or flax seeds... They gel up and will smother the other seeds
LOL We actually were joking around about buying them a Chia Pet!

KimD

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kim
I'm going to look into these, I'm guessing a prepared mix would be a lot simpler than buying a variety of separate seeds from the bulk bins at Whole Foods. And probably cheaper, too!

Leanna

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Leanna B
I have better luck with seed than I do with beans as far as taste goes. I use the sprout house seeds. They are my favorite brand for sprouts hands down. The germination rate is really high and I don't have to work about seeds being pre- treated.
This is the most popular mix for me:
The Sprout House HOT and Spicy 1 Pound Certified Organic Non-gmo Sprouting Seeds Yellow Mustard and Red Radish: Amazon.com: Grocery & Gourmet Food
I also use just straight Rambo radish seeds as well as Broccoli seeds.