• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Favorite easy and cheap Bird bread recipe?

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I live in a population of 10,000 with only 3 grocery stores too ;)

Tara81

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Tara
Well a lot of newfoundlanders are unemployed , So i guess the government is secretly conspiring to kill us all faster by adding suphates and azobenzocarbonaite to our foods

Liebran

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Karen Shaver
I follow the basic recipe but I use 1 cup regular flour and 1 cup oats I grind up, add the egg, something damp (applesauce or banana), throw in the veggies, usually some nuts/seeds and whatever else I might have on hand he can have. Adjust the batter Bake as above.

Nell Bell

Real Name
Janelle Durfee
Will you please drop it? I left it as the jiffy mix is MY choice for making a healthy and yummy bird bread. Nothing you say will make me decide to change it. I will continue to use it and my birds will be happy and healthy with it. It's cheaper, easier, convenient, and completely healthy. It may have some unnecessary ingrediants, but they eat about half of a mini muffin, and all the added health benifets they are getting. You continue using your recipes, and I will continue making mine.
I suck at baking and cooking but i use the clean powder left from pellets. It doesn't rise or anything fancy but it's a good bulk for the so called bread i make and I'm saving money.

WigglesL

Real Name
Libby Hardy
I am new to this sight. I am looking for a birdie bread to make for my Caique ~ Delilah. I would like to use her crushed pellets. would someone be so kind in helping me with a recipe to include that? Also I am not a good cook so the simpler the better please. Thank you so much birdie friends.

Tara81

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Tara
1 Large Egg
1 1/2 cups bird safe flour (grinded oat groats/ almond flour / whole wheat flour/ cornmeal -- all of these check ingredits to make sure it has no unsafe addictives (no jiffy))
1 cup applesauce / baby food without added iron / 1-2 banana
1 cup finely chopped veges (shredded carrot / chopped kale/ chopped brocolli florettes in tiny pieces)
add some water if it is too dry

Optional:
1/4 cup ground pellets
2 tbsp milk thistle powder
1/2 c of my seed mix
2 tablespoons hemp hearts
1 teaspoon pumpkin seeds

mix ingredients together, place on muffin papers and cook , or use light olive oil greasing on pan to cook bread. 300 F for 25-45 min, check every 10 mins with toothpick.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I am new to this sight. I am looking for a birdie bread to make for my Caique ~ Delilah. I would like to use her crushed pellets. would someone be so kind in helping me with a recipe to include that? Also I am not a good cook so the simpler the better please. Thank you so much birdie friends.
The type of pellets matter. I've tried making bread with Zupreem and have yet to make anything my birds have considered edible :lol:

LoriW62

Real Name
Lori
I just made birdie bread with ground sunflower seeds & ground oat groats (I grind in vitamix) 1 cup of each. I put plain coconut yogurt, baking powder (aluminum free) almond oil, and a tsp of apple cider vinegar . My caique loves it!! He's eating some now!!!
Never would I consider using jiffy!!!
There are so many different flours to play around with; almond, coconut, peanut, walnut, hazelnut, oat, (the best way to use oat flour is when you grind the oat groats) that's just a few, there are more and if you have a grinder or a vitamix you can grind your own nuts or grains. You can grind wheat berries, flax, chia....

Last edited:

Sparkles!

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I just made birdie bread with ground sunflower seeds & ground oat groats (I grind in vitamix) 1 cup of each. I put plain coconut yogurt, baking powder (aluminum free) almond oil, and a tsp of apple cider vinegar . My caique loves it!! He's eating some now!!!
Never would I consider using jiffy!!!
There are so many different flours to play around with; almond, coconut, peanut, walnut, hazelnut, oat, (the best way to use oat flour is when you grind the oat groats) that's just a few, there are more and if you have a grinder or a vitamix you can grind your own nuts or grains. You can grind wheat berries, flax, chia....
Be super careful with that much sunflower seed flour!!
Ground sunflower seeds are 200 calories and 17 grams of fat per 1/4 cup. So that’s 800 calories and nearly 70 grams of fat just from that ingredient alone!!

macawpower58

Flying along the Avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Shutterbugs' Best
Thinking about trying some of these ideas. With a good snowstorm on it's way, what better way to spend the day.