• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

FAVA beans raw ?

boysmom

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Heather Haywood
I fed my girls FAVA beans raw tonight, shelled and 4 beans each in their mash. They really enjoyed them so I decided to google the nutritional factor. What I found was that they are considered toxic. Should I be freaked out and run to the emergency vets ? It was over 2 and a half hours ago and they seem fine for now .

Greycloud

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Yes, they are considered toxic. I would keep an eye on them for now. Watch their poops. Hopefully nothing occurs.

Merlie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
Large beans: Anasazi, Black, Fava, Kidney, Lima, Navy, Pinto, Soy, are not suggested for sprouting <nor fed raw>. These legumes can cause toxicity and remain difficult to digest. Their raw flavor is also very bad. If choose to serve these to your bird they MUST be soaked for a minimum of 8 hours, water drained and beans rinsed well, and then cooked by bringing them to a full boil, boiling uncovered for 10 minutes, covered and simmered for another 20 minutes.

I think they'll be fine. One time eating them probably won't cause problems. I posted the info above so you know of the other beans that must be cooked before feeding.

Mung and Adzuki beans are the only beans I know that don't have be cooked first, and are very good sprouted, although I still would not serve them raw.

Cyreen

Rollerblading along the road
I've served a combination of sprouted raw Mung, Adzuki, Lentils and Fenugreek seeds in my birds nightly chop for forever. The smaller beans are fine sprouted. The big beans have to be cooked.

jmfleish

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jen
How do you mean you fed them raw? Raw as in raw from a can or from a frozen mix? In completely raw form, they are going to be very hard. I believe that from a can or in a frozen mix, they have already been cooked and shouldn't pose a problem.

boysmom

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Heather Haywood
Thanks all, they seem to be fine, and are busily eating their pellets as I quickly removed the chop as it could have contained some more bean pieces. I will check in tomorrow and let everyone know how they are doing. This was such a dumb mistake on my part, and it will def never be repeated.

ncGreyBirdLady

They call Me crazy like its a bad thing!
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bonnie
:hug8::hug8::hug8:

jmfleish

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jen
jmfleish, Raw as in fresh raw.
So they were dry and hard? Wow! I can't believe they would even bother eating them! Glad to hear they are doing ok. I would guess like others have said that a little isn't going to hurt them. They might also have just chewed them up and not actually ate them. I would say at this point, if they aren't showing any effects, they should probably be fine.

boysmom

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Heather Haywood
Ruby and Kylie are perfectly fine this morning. Poops look fine also

Merlie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
So they were dry and hard? Wow! I can't believe they would even bother eating them! Glad to hear they are doing ok. I would guess like others have said that a little isn't going to hurt them. They might also have just chewed them up and not actually ate them. I would say at this point, if they aren't showing any effects, they should probably be fine.
Actually, I've seen fava beans sold fresh/raw, not dried, not canned, not frozen, but actually fresh/raw, in the produce section.