• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Faust chewed his feather in half!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Judgement

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Becca
Long time no see, I wish it were under better circumstances!

So Faust, my sun, was cuddling with me an hour or so ago. He's molting and reaching maturity, so the poor thing was really itchy and was grooming. Out of NOWHERE he suddenly had a fit, turned behind him, and started attacking his longest tail feather. I tried to give him a look over but he wouldn't let me near it at all. He just kept attacking it.

I turned on the shower and gave him a quick wetting, which he seemed to adore. As soon as we were done he was gently preening himself, when all of a sudden he turned and attacked his feather again! Not a minute later it fell to the ground: The end of the shaft looks like someone just cut the feather with scissors! It was very bloody, but it's not bleeding. However, there IS blood in it, very, very noticeably. As soon as it was gone he looked pleased with himself, purred, cuddled in my shirt, and napped peacefully (he's grinding happily right now).

I'm in shock. I tried to get the powder on the shaft to help it clot, but he won't let me near there and it's just me, and I can't towel him alone as I have no use of my right arm right now.

There's an emergency avian vet open right now, about an hour away. I'm afraid to let this go until morning, because the shaft IS open, even if it's not bleeding, and I can't powder of pull it myself. My partner is willing to drive me (reluctantly, albeit).

Should I be safe rather than sorry and take him now?

Last edited:

Birdiemarie

Feather Snuggler
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Marie
In your circumstances, yes, it would be a good idea to head on over to the vet since if it starts bleeding during the night you won't have anyone to help.

Judgement

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Becca
That's a good point, Marie. We're getting ready now! I wonder what could have done this. =/ He's NEVER done this before...

Birdlover

Avian Addiction!
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Those blood feathers are sooo sensitive. Maybe he had bumped/irritated it earlier and it was bothering him enough to want it out.

birdlvr466

Hit the Road
Real Name
Pat
Sounds like the feather was really bothering him. Let us know how the vet visit goes, I think it is good you are taking him in

April

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I hope he is ok,please update us when you can.

Judgement

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Becca
Finally back!

Thank you for the advice, everyone; even the vet agreed it was best I brought him in.

She took a look at his tail and found a rather huge gaping hole where the feather was. While not bleeding at the time, as soon as she cleaned it we saw it began to bleed. She decided it was best to not remove the feather, given its current condition, and that powdering it may do more hard than good, given the size. She thinks it can heal on its own.

She gave us an antiseptic (chlorhexidine I believe?) to apply to the wound twice a day. She gave us instruction to keep an eye on it for infection, and that if we see it getting weird or if he starts to pick at it to come back and he'll need a little collar (poor boy!)

He hasn't picked at it at all yet, though, and it doesn't seem to be bothering him, so he's been good so far! The vet agreed it was best to bring him in; we had nothing to clean it at home (no q-tips or cotton balls!) and it could have easily gotten infected by the time we could get to an actual vet.

She also thinks the feather was simply bothering him (vs. parasites or something), especially since he's A. molting and B. reaching maturity.

birdlvr466

Hit the Road
Real Name
Pat
Becca so glad you took him in. I guess these things happen sometimes with random feathers coming in a certain way that bothers them. Hope it heals quickly and that he will let you apply the antiseptic. :hug8:

Archiesmom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Natalie
Oh goodness, I'm so glad you brought him in! Healing thoughts for Faust and his tail :)

Status
Not open for further replies.