• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Father budgie panting, what can I do to help?

Gersha

Sitting on the front steps
Father budgie panting, how can I help him?

So around 2 and a half weeks ago my female budgies eggs hatched, all has been good and well until recently we noticed that our male budgie is panting a lot. The female isn't and seems fine.

He doesn't seem to be hot as he's not extending his wings, but I'm wondering if constantly feeding her is taking a toll on him. I want to note they have been doing work in the room where we keep the budgies so he hasn't had much time to get out and fly. (No they haven't been in the room during the fixing and it was properly ventilated after the work was done, the ceiling still has to be patched in some parts which is why they still haven't been let out to fly around.)

Should I give him more time away from her, set him in the larger cockatiel cage I have so he can fly around and get a break perhaps? Or could there be something more serious going on?

Olliebirb

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Julia A
Panting could be a sign of many different problems, usually respiratory. I suggest taking them to a vet

Kiwi's Dad

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sebastian
I tried to attach one as a file here but it wouldn't let me
To link a video you have to post it on Youtube, Twitter, Vimeo, etc.

Here's a thread on it:
Thread

Pixiebeak

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laura
He is beautiful! Hide body conditions look good..

I can't really tell what is is doing in video...I see him moving his mouth...but not convinced this is panting
Is he outside?
What is the temp,?
Why is the cage covered so much?
Is that him vocalizing?
What do you feed him?
How are mom and the babies?
What is his sleep cycle?
When did this start?
Ok a lot of questions....

@AussieBird has lots of parakeet experience,
As do others. Hopefully they can help.

Gersha

He is beautiful! Hide body conditions look good..

I can't really tell what is is doing in video...I see him moving his mouth...but not convinced this is panting
Is he outside?
What is the temp,?
Why is the cage covered so much?
Is that him vocalizing?
What do you feed him?
How are mom and the babies?
What is his sleep cycle?
When did this start?
Ok a lot of questions....

@AussieBird has lots of parakeet experience,
As do others. Hopefully they can help.
I'll try and answer them in the order you asked!
He's indoors

It can get fairly warm in the room that they're in as the temperature fluctuates

The cage is covered because thats where the babies reside, the mother chose the bottom of the cage as her nesting area and I didn't want to disturb her by moving them.

That is not him vocalizing, those are the babies.

I feed him a mix of seeds and veggies, as well as provide cuttlebone for calcium and the occasional boiled egg.

The mom and the babies are thriving, she takes care of all of them and makes sure they're well fed.

As for his sleep cycle, he typically goes to sleep around 10, but occassionally wakes up through the night when the mother or babies are begging him for food.

This only started a few days ago, when he was primarily left in the cage due to work needing to be done in the room they stay in.

Pixiebeak

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laura
Sweet baby sounds,! Yay that mom and kids are doing well!
Excellent diet.

I feel I'm not helping... because I don't know what to offer... except maybe him going to bed earlier....

I hope others have more thoughts...

Gersha

Thats okay, thank you for your help and time anyways, I'll see if I give him an earlier bedtime!

Olliebirb

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Julia A
Is he making the chirping noise that’s in the video or is that another bird?

Gersha

Father budgie panting, how can I help him?

So around 2 and a half weeks ago my female budgies eggs hatched, all has been good and well until recently we noticed that our male budgie is panting a lot. The female isn't and seems fine.

He doesn't seem to be hot as he's not extending his wings, but I'm wondering if constantly feeding her is taking a toll on him. I want to note they have been doing work in the room where we keep the budgies so he hasn't had much time to get out and fly. (No they haven't been in the room during the fixing and it was properly ventilated after the work was done, the ceiling still has to be patched in some parts which is why they still haven't been let out to fly around.)

Should I give him more time away from her, set him in the larger cockatiel cage I have so he can fly around and get a break perhaps? Or could there be something more serious going on?
UPDATE-
I've been giving him and the mother t
ime in the larger cage with the other birds(around 30 mins to an hour for him, and 10 to 20 minutes for her.) and he seems to be doing fine!
He is no longer panting, I believe he was just stressed and wanted to spend some time with one of our other budgies. He seemed a lot happier (preening, singing, flying around the cage) when he was reunited with our other male budgie.

Pixiebeak

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laura
I'm really glad to hear this! He is such a gorgeous boy!
Can't wait to see mom and babies when they get older !