• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Fat budgie?

chigen123

Strolling the yard
My budgie Felipe seems to have more floof than usual recently and has been making bigger poop as well. She sleeps and has her feathers poofed a bit more often too, in addition to eating more. image.jpg image.jpg I don’t know if we have a scale I can weigh her on, but I think she might be a bit overweight. Anyone know?

WikiWaz

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Signe
A kitchen scale works well if you have one.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
It is beneficial to know the weight of your bird but it’s not the best way to determine if your bird is a healthy weight unless you already know what your birds healthy weight is.
It’s best to check the keel bone to check your birds condition than just rely on the actual weight of your bird.

What is a healthy weight for one budgie may be too thin or chunky for another.

Kassiani

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I have a kitchen scale that I used to weigh the budgie boys on. As long as it is digital and has a mode to weigh in grams, that would work. (PS I now have a scale with a built-in perch for weighing the boys).

Has your girl been to the vet before? Do you have any historic weight information for her?

chigen123

Strolling the yard
I have a kitchen scale that I used to weigh the budgie boys on. As long as it is digital and has a mode to weigh in grams, that would work. (PS I now have a scale with a built-in perch for weighing the boys).

Has your girl been to the vet before? Do you have any historic weight information for her?
She has been to the vet before- I’d have to contact them to see what they have. And I gotta find where our scale went

chigen123

Strolling the yard
It is beneficial to know the weight of your bird but it’s not the best way to determine if your bird is a healthy weight unless you already know what your birds healthy weight is.
It’s best to check the keel bone to check your birds condition than just rely on the actual weight of your bird.

Thanks! Just wondering- what is the keel bone?

chigen123

Strolling the yard

I found out how to tell if the keel bone looks healthy, and hers seems to stick out to the sides a bit. She won’t cooperate for pictures, but I tried. 18ACADF1-5B5A-44A3-82D0-B65C0FB6E606.jpeg

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
I’m not sure what you mean by your birds keel bone sticks out at the sides.

You will need to gently examine your bird with your hands.

This link should explain how to check..

Reactions: tka

chigen123

Strolling the yard
I’m not sure what you mean by your birds keel bone sticks out at the sides.

You will need to gently examine your bird with your hands.

This link should explain how to check..

I see what you mean with the keel bone now! Felipe’s seems normal if not a bit above, but she’s taking a nap right now so I’ll have to look later.