• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Fastest way to bond

AviMom

Sprinting down the street
(Hope this isnt confusing, im very tired)
Being new to birds, I found target/clicker training on YouTube in attempting to train my birds. I had tried everything, and nothing was working until i started target/clicker training my parakeets, and had instant progress.
I continued using clicker/target training with my cockatiels, and was amazed how quickly I trained them in flight return, and other tricks, as well as building relationships with them. I just started target training our Amazon last night (in his cage), and tonight, I couldn't believe the progress he's already made. It's like having a magic wand.
This is the secret to taming and training, and for anyone who is a new bird owner, you need to listen to the experts here, and you will set yourself, and your bird up for a successful friendship.
Food is a HUGE motivator, and trust builder between you and your fid. By becoming familiar using target/clicker training, there's no end to what you can train your bird to do.
I have found when first introducing a bird to clicker training, that taking the clicker and clicking it standing next to my bird, then giving it a treat, and just repeating this about 10 times, gets the bird familiar with the "click" sound and this concept of click=reward. Click, treat, click, treat....next, introduce the target stick.
Happy clicking!!!!

Nancy B

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Nancy
I have to try this. I have the chopsticks, Freddy was afraid of them, so I gave him one to play with. Now that I think he'll be ok, I really have to try it. He didn't want to be handled at all since molting started and it's driving me crazy but I just do what he wants. The whole month of March we were able to hold, cuddle, KISS him, and when molting started it stopped cold! And he's still molting because I still see lots of pin feathers.

AviMom

Sprinting down the street
@Nancy B
I am not a vet, but would think molting may be irritating to a birds skin. Like when men shave and the hair starts growing back it gets itchy.
Don't take this wrong, but it could be somehow you created a negative response you're unaware of. It's so tricky...i make training mistakes and have to work 10 times harder trying to correct the mistake. But like my fids, I'm learning too. It's like learning a new language, lol.
A training stick can be anything. A pen, a sharpy, a pencil....when first shown to the bird, if you approach them with it very calmly, slowly, and speak softly to him while moving it closer, they tend to want to peck it. That is a good thing. Even if he motions toward it I a pecking manner the first time, click reward him..
These guys learn really quickly, I peck the stick, I get my treat!! The click soon becomes the bridge of "hey! I did something good".
I hide my stick from sight until I want them to target it. Then hide it from them until I target again. If they see me just waving it around, it looses it power.
It's all about positive association with the target.
I'm sure if you keep trying, watching videos, reading, soon it will come together. Don't give up.

Nancy B

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Nancy
@Nancy B
I am not a vet, but would think molting may be irritating to a birds skin. Like when men shave and the hair starts growing back it gets itchy.
Don't take this wrong, but it could be somehow you created a negative response you're unaware of. It's so tricky...i make training mistakes and have to work 10 times harder trying to correct the mistake. But like my fids, I'm learning too. It's like learning a new language, lol.
A training stick can be anything. A pen, a sharpy, a pencil....when first shown to the bird, if you approach them with it very calmly, slowly, and speak softly to him while moving it closer, they tend to want to peck it. That is a good thing. Even if he motions toward it I a pecking manner the first time, click reward him..
These guys learn really quickly, I peck the stick, I get my treat!! The click soon becomes the bridge of "hey! I did something good".
I hide my stick from sight until I want them to target it. Then hide it from them until I target again. If they see me just waving it around, it looses it power.
It's all about positive association with the target.
I'm sure if you keep trying, watching videos, reading, soon it will come together. Don't give up.
I didn't give up, and I forgot about this post! My Fred is doing awesome, we figured out we were using our hands TOO MUCH to handle him. He likes being handled but not big on being petted with HANDS. He even cuddles, loves kisses and giving kisses but as of now, not big on hands unless they are feeding him lol. As of today he started flying a lot more, and went on a flying spree all through the house lol. His issue right now is OK I'M FLYING, NOW WHERE DO I LAND? Lol its obvious he's trying to figure out where he wants to go. We just stay out of his way. If he comes towards us, we hold our arm out so he can land on us. He's a funny little acrobat, and so glad he's just started now getting playful.