• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Farlie is hungry, please

Farlie

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Rick
Hi all,
I'm looking for a couple three pounds of conure bird food. Who out there is selling same?
Thank you,

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
@Love My Zons stocks different types of foods. What exactly are you looking for?

Farlie

Real Name
Rick
Hi Zara,
A combination of pellet and food. He was brought up on Zupreem fruit blend but he doesn't seem to care for it anymore. I'd like to try a mix of fruit and veggie pellets along with some real food.
This looks real good to me. Seems to have everything, pellets and real food.

birdmix.jpg

Love My Zons

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Claire
Hi Zara,
A combination of pellet and food. He was brought up on Zupreem fruit blend but he doesn't seem to care for it anymore. I'd like to try a mix of fruit and veggie pellets along with some real food.

View attachment 394947
Hagan is good and that mix my Amazons like. However, this Company only sells yo brick and morter stores.

Most places you can find it online 20 lb bags though. Even here with 3 big birds, I won't but 20 lbs.

So we feed 3 or 4 different pellets, and everyone gets mixes with similar nuts and fruit. Higgins has Intune Harmony that is pellets, fruits and nuts for conures.

2lb bag $12.99

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
Hi Zara,

View attachment 394947
It really looks great but upon reading..only in 20lb bags & many reviews say what they got had very little fruit & nuts & was mostly pellets. I've considered a few times but such a big bag if its mostly pellets I can do without.

I tend to buy Higgins though Hagan is not bad.

I mix them...you can check these for AA sellers but I have links for chewy.

$12.99 is better not sure who is selling it for that price Luv my Zons? Thats's a good buy...
I usually wait for sales of buy 2 get 1 free

Last edited:

Love My Zons

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Claire
It really looks great but upon reading..only in 20lb bags & many reviews say what they got had very little fruit & nuts & was mostly pellets. I've considered a few times but such a big bag if its mostly pellets I can do without.

I tend to buy Higgins though Hagan is not bad.

I mix them...you can check these for AA sellers but I have links for chewy.

$12.99 is better not sure who is selling it for that price Luv my Zons? Thats's a good buy...
I usually wait for sales of buy 2 get 1 free

Yes, that price is mine. I carry quite alot of the Higgins :) I too agree on the Tropimix, more green peas, chickpeas, raisins and that cheap red seed you see in wild bird seed mixes more then fruits or nuts.

Last edited:

camelotshadow

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
Yes, that price is mine. I carry quite alot of the Higgins :) I too agree on the Tropimix, more green peas, chickpeas, raisins and that cheap red seed you see in wild bird seed mixes more then fruits or nuts.
That large red round seed I think is Milo & not that great. Tropc mix sure looks good in the photos but it seems that bag they use has way more fruit & nuts then most people get when they order.

Even Higgins can be a bit touchy sometimes with adding less of the goody treats. The last batch of the gourmet was lacking on the gourmet & had a higher % of the smaller seed.

Penny loves pumpkins seeds the most so I try to buy a bag of those & add it to the mix.
Penny does not eat the cashews, pecans or walnuts in the mixes. She just leaves them. I buy whole almonds from Trader Joes & she likes those. They are high in calcium.
Rio gets a high safflower seed blend. Rio does not eat the nuts but like the fruit.

Here's 4 pounds for $20 at eBay.
4 lbs.

View attachment 394968
I'd be careful at ebay as it could be old or stored improperly.
Not sure if that one has treats. Price is not great unless its free shipping.

Just ask for the expir date.

Farlie

Real Name
Rick
eBay is free shipping but Amazon isn't. Unless you belong and I can't see why anybody would want to spend more than the posted price is beyond me. They want $15 a month and if you bought 15 items a month the price would be a dollar more than posted. STUPID, just plain stupid to me. I can't see anybody with any sense falling for it but they do. Sheesh!

It seems to have 25% of stuff in it.

tropimix.jpg

Last edited:

camelotshadow

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
No argument from me.

I did try to get an amazon account a few years back using a virtual credit account number but it was not accepted.
They wanted to bill me for services & some media account that was included. I had to cancel it as I could nto even buy things as my payment form was not recognized.

I tent to use paypal as at least I trust who has my financial credit info.

Amozon does have good prices on some things & is tempting but it does not work for me & the way I pay.
I don't want to give them credit info.

I buy from Ebay but you just have to watch out for expiration dates as some are getting old or expired.

Shipping is high especially on heavy items over a lb. Its got to be figured into the price somewhere.

That's why I shop Petco or Chewy as if you get the min order they ship it free.
Petco has been shipping next day.

camelotshadow

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
$20 & free shipping is ok if its fresh & stored properly. Trouble is your not sure where is come from on ebay or if it was left in a hot barn all summer etc

Lots of red milo & mostly corn

Corn, flaked corn, raisins, red milo, dried papaya, wheat, dehulled peanuts, dehulled sunflower seeds, dehulled toasted soybeans, soybean meal, oat groats, toasted split green peas, dried banana, dried pineapple, corn gluten meal, toasted buckwheat, chickpeas, split red lentils, dehulled walnuts, brown rice, carrot flakes, canola oil (preserved with mixed tocopherols), dicalcium phosphate, calcium carbonate, flaxseed, yeast culture, lecithin, dried beet pulp, dried kelp, orange oil, L-lysine, yeast extract, choline chloride, DL-methionine, salt, vitamin E supplement, biotin, niacin, calcium L-ascorbyl-2-monophosphate, zinc oxide, manganous oxide, d-calcium pantothenate, vitamin B12 supplement, beta-carotene, riboflavin, copper sulfate, pyridoxine hydrochloride, thiamine mononitrate, inositol, folic acid, vitamin A supplement, rosemary extract, calcium iodate, sodium selenite, vitamin D3 supplement.

I'd be interested in seeing if you/your bird like it but I have my reservations.

red milo is a cheap filler that few birds eat.

Id prefer getting the 2 higgins above I mentioned n mixing

Farlie

Real Name
Rick
Just received it yesterday. So far he's gone straight for the fruit pieces. It'll be hard to tell cuz I also mixed it with his old food which is,
ZuPreem Pure Fun Premium Blend Bird Food Fruits & Seeds Smart Pellets,
and a mix of,
Zupreem Fruit Blend Flavor Bird Food Diet for Medium Birds.
He's just not eating pellets and he was raised on the fruit blend pellets.
He gets his share of people food. Not that much to fill him up tho, just a bite or two is all... the little beggar. :sneaky:

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
Just received it yesterday. So far he's gone straight for the fruit pieces. It'll be hard to tell cuz I also mixed it with his old food which is,
and a mix of,
He gets his share of people food. Not that much to fill him up tho, just a bite or two is all... the little beggar. :sneaky:
Sometimes they just quit eating pellets, if that happens you'll need to give him a couple hours a day of pellets only so he remembers to eat it.

Hopefully though the new food will do the trick. I think it looks good.

Teckechick

Ask me for a photo of my bird, I have to post one!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Dawn
I do a mix of things for my boys. For Toot-Toot I do Higgins Intune, Harrisons Fine, and a seed mix. I have been working on getting him to eat pellets and he is starting to eat them now. For Jenks he is a fan of just about everything so he gets the Harrisons, a bit of Intune, and nutriberries. They both get a bowl of fresh veggies as well every morning. I have a variety of other pellets but the Harrison's and the Intune are the fav's. We get all of our dry foods from @Love My Zons

Wardy

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Mojo and KiKi are very much enjoying California Maintenance diet mini this is Roudybush maintenance pellets with the addition of some fruit and veg it contains peaches, apricots, plums, bell peppers, carrots, tomatoes, and cabbage

Farlie

Real Name
Rick
Why are people knocking in my thread!?!? Go find your own thread to hi-jack. :shifty:

Wardy

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award

Laurie

The Best Bird Toys
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laurie
and a mix of,
I find that if I mix the pellets with anything they will only eat the pellets when the other things are gone so I serve them separately or make my own mix which is mostly pellets and then I add enough other goodie for fun and variety but not enough to fill them up, that way they eat the goodies first and then eat pellets the rest of the day.

If you really want to get you bird eating more variety it will help to feed separately or to reduce the amount of food offered so he doesn't just fill up on favorites.

Even with just pellets my birds eat their favorite colors first.