• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent Fall from top of cage

pcmichelle

Moving in
Real Name
Michelle
Help please.... my macaw just fell from the top of his cage...like 7 feet. He was bleeding from his mouth and or beak, I can't tell which, and he's acting like it hurts. He's opening his mouth wide and barely using it to climb. I live in a very rural area anf the closest avian vet is like 2 hours away. What should I do until i can get hom seen???

April

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I'd get him to the vet as quick as you can. In the meantime put him in a smaller cage where he cant fall again and doesn't need to climb to conserve strength and not farther injure himself.
@Hankmacaw ,@Macawnutz ,@macawpower58 @MiniMacaw

camelotshadow

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
I know its hard to get vets these days especially on short notice but you have to try.

1 Try to find out where the bleeding is from & make sure its stopped.

2 As above get him in a small cage with something soft for the bottom so he can be quiet & rest.

3 monitor carefully & try to get vet care asap.

Make sure he drinks. & monitor

Does he have a vet? Call & find out when they can see him or whom they recommend might be able to take an emergency.

If his mouth or beak is injured he may be reluctant to eat so provide some soft food

I hope its nothing serious.

macawpower58

Flying along the Avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Shutterbugs' Best
Is he still bleeding? If he cracked his beak only, he should heal in a few days to a week.
If he struck his head there maybe damage you're not seeing.
For now watch him closely, keep him warm and calm.
Offer soft food. Mine broke a large part of the tip once while falling, and he was the same.
He could barely climb, couldn't hold toys, and had to have soft food for a short time.
He did heal just fine though.

Call and find where the closest emergency vet is and alert them to the fall.
If he starts acting worse, or seems out of it or very sleepy, there may be concussion.
Have one set to take you in, in the worse case scenario.

Beaks can bleed pretty badly, I know I held a cloth on my bird's tip for quite some time til it stopped.
If it's coming from out of his mouth, and not just the beak, I'd get to a vet immediately.

Last edited:

pcmichelle

Moving in
Real Name
Michelle
I know its hard to get vets these days especially on short notice but you have to try.

1 Try to find out where the bleeding is from & make sure its stopped.

2 As above get him in a small cage with something soft for the bottom so he can be quiet & rest.

3 monitor carefully & try to get vet care asap.

Make sure he drinks. & monitor

Does he have a vet? Call & find out when they can see him or whom they recommend might be able to take an emergency.

If his mouth or beak is injured he may be reluctant to eat so provide some soft food

I hope its nothing serious.
Thank you for the advice. He snuggled with me for quite a while this afternoon. Bleeding has stopped. I don't see any obvious injury. I put him in his cage so his could get a drink and he actually ate some of his food. That made me feel much better! I don't have a small cage. The second cage is smaller than his main cage but still 5ft tall (Iuse ut fir when he comesupstairsto work withme). I plan to stay downstairs with him tonight to monitor him.

Tiel Feathers

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
I hope he will be okay!

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Hope all will be well!

April

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
How's your baby doing today?

April

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
That's such a relief! I'm so glad that he seems to have suffered no ill effects from his fall.