• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Fake Plants in Play Area

EkkieLu

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Tricia
That looks amazing! I would want to live there!

I'm a huge plant lover myself. Witch is not a great combination when taking care of birds. But I always look up de toxicity level. And I believe that they make aspirin from willow trees and can be poisonous. I don’t know if this is the same species, so I could be wrong. Just wanted to let you know what I found.
Yes they do but not from the non-weeping variety. Lucy has been eating these leaves daily for years. I don't think there's a leaf on the entire tree without a bite out of it! She doesn't like it when the boys climb "her" tree and let's them know it!

TwoTinyTrees

Avenue Veteran
Awesome room!!!

Gazimon

Sprinting down the street
How do you sterilize the trees after bringing it home from the nursery? What to swap the soil to? :jawdrop1:

Gribouille

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
How do you sterilize the trees after bringing it home from the nursery? What to swap the soil to? :jawdrop1:
You don't need to sterilize anything, just make sure there isn't any chemicals on the leaves. If you are not sure, you can shower them. Cover the soil with cling film in the shower.
Once your plant is in the bird room you can cover the soil with different things, depending on your bird. Mine don't care for soil so it is not covered. But soil in pots is usually full of chemicals when you first got them so most people feel it safer to cover it with rocks, or anything birds won't be able to remove/destroy.

Gribouille

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
I've taken a bunch of single pics of their room and play areas, never did a video or anything like that.
:coffeescreen:My son was complaining the other day that he thought I had given too many toys to the birds and that I should stop now... Wait until I show him YOUR bird room!! :rofl:

I believe that they make aspirin from willow trees and can be poisonous. I don’t know if this is the same species, so I could be wrong. Just wanted to let you know what I found.
Aspirin is found in the inner bark of willow and has to be brewed to extract it. Willow leaves and the wood are OK

Gazimon

Sprinting down the street
Thanks for the advice. Any concern with the creepy crawlies already living in the soil?

Gribouille

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Thanks for the advice. Any concern with the creepy crawlies already living in the soil?
no more than for any plant you'd get into your house... They are very few and will stay in the soil, unless you get gnats into your house, then they'll probably spread in your plants too!

TikkiTembo

Real Name
Chelsea
I brought in a Boston Fern for Chipper, and he loved it! But then I saw it had some ladybugs on it, and he was eating them! Little carnivore!

Hawk12237

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Michael
View attachment 315007 This is an interesting idea, what do you guys think? Would the fake leaves be safe? Do you think it would just be shredded and need to be replaced sooner than I'm imagining? Hmmm..
Howdy hi! That's pretty neat. The idea is awesome!
But I did same thing a couple years back. Though mine I made out of a stand, and added the leaves all around the areas to climb. Looked cool, and jungle like. However they shredded that up in a heart beat. So when you let me know what you come up with....I'm still looking for different ideas too!
Grayson likes to clip the leaves off real plants and throw dirt around!!! Can't keep him out of those. Until I put up a 15" miniature scare crow up next to plants we got from dollar store. lol. ..it works!

Gribouille

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Grayson likes to clip the leaves off real plants and throw dirt around!!! Can't keep him out of those. Until I put up a 15" miniature scare crow up next to plants we got from dollar store. lol. ..it works!
:rofl:

Hawk12237

Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Michael

That is the most amazing bird room. Your very articulate!
I have tons is stuff, my problem is how to arrange it all to look good and exciting.

EkkieLu

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Tricia
On weekends I scrub down everything and change out anything beyond redemption. I generally have to shut Newt in a cage (which he positively hates) so I can get anything done as he thinks trying to grab the cleaning cloth or scrub brush away from me is a great game! I always let him play at this for a while but with "help" like this I'd never finish! Lol
I've often wished there was a drain in the middle of their floor so I could just drag the power washer in and make short work of the whole room! Their room is never totally spotless, but I've learned over the years that if it was, the crew wasn't having any fun!

Hawk12237

Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Michael
On weekends I scrub down everything and change out anything beyond redemption. I generally have to shut Newt in a cage (which he positively hates) so I can get anything done as he thinks trying to grab the cleaning cloth or scrub brush away from me is a great game! I always let him play at this for a while but with "help" like this I'd never finish! Lol
I've often wished there was a drain in the middle of their floor so I could just drag the power washer in and make short work of the whole room! Their room is never totally spotless, but I've learned over the years that if it was, the crew wasn't having any fun!

Ahhh ha ha.!!! Yes, yes indeed. The chase the cloth game...

Zettobi

Meeting neighbors
I've been wanting to add plants to my bird's room for ages. Started growing a spider plant and Sunburst is always super interested in it! It's not big enough to allow her to play with it yet, but every now and then I take off a leaf for her to nibble on and she loves it. Spider plants can be grown in only water so that's what we're doing, the open part of the glass container is too small for her to stick her head into (preventing her from drinking the water) and it's amazing to see the roots.

The dream is to make it look like a forest!

Gribouille

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Since reading that thread, I am thinking of building some kind of a standing board where I could hook/hang pots so that it would be a green wall behind the playstand. I have to think about the details like weight, watering the plants and what plant I could have there, but I definitely like the idea!

EkkieLu

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Tricia
I use the wooden folding wall. They love to climb all over it and I can hang toys anywhere on it. They are inexpensive and add a nice touch to their play area. They will chew it, but after more than 6 years it still doesn't look too bad. After all, if it was in pristine condition, I'd know they didn't like it!
20190409_135004_kindlephoto-283703108.jpg

Gribouille

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
I use the wooden folding wall. They love to climb all over it and I can hang toys anywhere on it. They are inexpensive and add a nice touch to their play area. They will chew it, but after more than 6 years it still doesn't look too bad. After all, if it was in pristine condition, I'd know they didn't like it!
View attachment 319512
My birds would be too small to climb over something like that, but to hang plants on, it could work. I'll have to look for something similar. IKEA has a bathroom serie that could be quite decorative, and I can certainly find those items second hand.
Many videos and ideas on youtube too!

Last edited: