• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Fake Plants in Play Area

TikkiTembo

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Chelsea
8ee5915ad18c59b690471f370c6c63f6.jpg This is an interesting idea, what do you guys think? Would the fake leaves be safe? Do you think it would just be shredded and need to be replaced sooner than I'm imagining? Hmmm..

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
That setup looks like it is for a rat or ferret.
Regardless, I think it would be a good idea for budgies, however I think that your birds would shred that daily.

Gribouille

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
I've been tempted by fake plants to give a little tropical-forest-feeling in the outdoor cage, thinking real plants wouldn't tolerate the weather here and they would have to be safe + survive being chewed and pooped on. But then, fake plants are made of plastic and my birds love to chew and eat it, so that's not an option here :meh:

EkkieLu

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Tricia
I have a 7' live non-weeping willow tree and a palm tree in the birdie room. They love to climb them and nibble/shred the leaves. I empty their water bowls into the plant pots and they thrive on the extra nutrition.
20181007_150724.jpg 20180901_163135_kindlephoto-297984038.jpg

Fuzzy

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Roz
I have a 7' live non-weeping willow tree and a palm tree in the birdie room. They love to climb them and nibble/shred the leaves. I empty their water bowls into the plant pots and they thrive on the extra nutrition.
View attachment 315048 View attachment 315049
Wow - love it!!! Interesting thing you have done with the white screen too! Do you have a thread anywhere that shows your room set up? Would love to see it!

EkkieLu

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Tricia
@EkkieLu Did you find those at a nursery?
Yes, about 8 years ago. And just to be sure I took leaf samples and the info on each tree to my vet to get her ok before moving them into the babies play area. The trees probably aren't as beautiful as they would be without birdies playing on them, but they don't look too bad!

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
:wow:@EkkieLu your bird room is Amazing!!

Vmax

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Vanessa

EkkieLu

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Tricia
This is what you need ;)

the floor is carpet covered in clear vinyl so it cleans up pretty easily. It's cleaning up the droppings that land on the toys, swings, ladders, and perches that takes so long to clean. But we make a game of cleaning up! Whatever I'm working on is suddenly the thing they all just have to play with! Lol

EkkieLu

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Tricia
I am amazed & envious of your bird room @EkkieLu
Thanks!!! I spend at least 50% of my day with them so they get plenty of attention. But when I can't be with them, it makes me happy that they all have plenty of activities to keep them busy. It's the same premise we all use with our little children!

Momo & Mido

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Irene
That looks amazing! I would want to live there!

And just to be sure I took leaf samples and the info on each tree to my vet to get her ok before moving them into the babies play area.
I'm a huge plant lover myself. Witch is not a great combination when taking care of birds. But I always look up de toxicity level. And I believe that they make aspirin from willow trees and can be poisonous. I don’t know if this is the same species, so I could be wrong. Just wanted to let you know what I found.