• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Fairy lights and Personal Night-frights

TinySheep

Strolling the yard
Real Name
NO.
Before I get on with this, I just want to say thank you to everyone who was willing to read through my novels and have been helping me in a welcoming and friendly way. It really means a lot that I have somewhere to go for any help or questions I may have, as well as being able to continue learning and gaining more knowledge about birds.

So, to what I’m worried about... I get night frights. It’s embarrassing that Im still like that at this age, but it’s one of those things where some nights I’m okay in complete darkness and others I end up forcing myself to fall asleep in complete fear. I recently reduced this issue by putting up fairy lights around my headboard and only having them on at night. Problem is that I’m not sure what to do once my bird gets here, because I’m starting to plan how I’m gonna bird proof my house, and nightlights (while they helped somewhat) don’t really cut it as well as my new fairy lights do. I want my bird in my room, but I don’t know how I’m gonna deal with a dark room at nights. Does anyone have any suggestions? Or bird safe options for lights that won’t disturb my bird too much or spook them?

I also used to use aroma therapy but that is now a big no-no, and I don’t trust myself with finding parrot safe brands.

I apologize for yet another novel, and if this is in the wrong place. This one is more about me than the bird this time. Thank you for reading.

(I do find leaving the hall lights on with the door open helps somewhat?)

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Is there a specific reason you want the bird too sleep in the same room as you? The easiest solution for both of you would be to allow The bird to sleep in a different room of the house that can be dark, as long as it is safe to do so.

Aromatherapy is a tricky beast with birds because regardless of brand, there are many oils you simply cannot use around birds.

TinySheep

Strolling the yard
Real Name
NO.
I was gonna have him be in my neighbouring smaller room. But my parents have decided to move my little 7 year old brother up stairs in the third room across the hall to mine. This is bad because it reduces my privacy as well as putting the bird in the room between us. I love my brother but I don’t feel I can really trust him to leave my bird alone at night.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Padlock on the cage, maybe?

I just went and looked at your other threads and see you are considering a cockatiel. A cockatiel is not the best bird to share a sleeping room with unless you have a good air purifier (and even then, I personally wouldn't do it). They produce a lot of dander/dust and breathing that in all night long can cause health issues for you.

TinySheep

Strolling the yard
Real Name
NO.
Yes, I am aware of the dander and dust. I do not have an air purifier yet, but that is on my list of things to do and prepare for :3

It’s not really him taking the bird out that concerns me, but more of disturbing it’s sleep by attempting to poke at it, or spooking it.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Then I suppose you will just have to experiment with the lighting. Cockatiels usually do well with a bit of a night light on as they are prone to night frights themselves, but too much light will disturb their sleep and you'll have a cranky bird.

Birdie Mama

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Hello and welcome! Personally I don’t see how the fairy light would be much of a bother to him. Use a heavier cover on his cage on the side that the lights are on. We have had our birds in the living room for the last 40 years, and none of them have been in a pitch black room due to street lights etc. Never had a problem. Or you can try putting a filmy cloth over the lights to diffuse them even more but still you light. all the best... :heart:

Fuzzy

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Roz
Like Birdie Mama I don't see how fairy lights would disturb him especially if he has a cover over his cage. Lots of people provide night lights for their birds that spook easily. My Pionus gets night frights too so I put him to bed with a very dim bedside lamp on across the room. His sleep cage is covered with a dark sheet and blanket in the winter, but I leave large breathing space gaps each side. He sleeps with me and when I come up to bed, I turn the light off. I have an air purifier on all night. Would definitely recommend an air purifier if you intend to sleep with a dusty bird like a tiel.

I do use aromatherapy oils for my parrots. I know the majority of people are against them. You have to be sure that the oils you use are genuinely pure (no additives - which is hard to prove as any brand can claim their oil is 100% pure). I will only use Young Living or Dr Shelton's Animal EOs (which are cheaper) and have done for about 9+ years now. Dr Melissa Shelton (vet) used Young Living oils for her parrot patients before devising her own oils, so I am happy to use both brands. I would never use any other brand.

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
I would say if you need some light (I do too) try as Fuzzy suggested the fairy lights, or a himalayan salt lamp -- mine has an adjustable light. Or a diffuser with lavender oil that has lights YL or my fave, doterra, although I also use Dr. Shelton's Animal EOs. Be sure to dilute all oils according to the recommendations on your diffuser or by Dr .Shelton.

If the bird has a problem with your light, cover its cage. Just give a treat, say "night night" in a happy voice, and put the cover on.

I don't think night frights are uncommon. I do wonder though -- do you mean you jerk awake? Or you're just having fear? The limb-jerk thing can be a medical condition or PTSD related. Fear is just...anxiety really. God luck!

TinySheep

Strolling the yard
Real Name
NO.
No, i think it’s more of an fear/anxiety issue... I think the fact that I have bad eyesight without glasses and I can’t see what’s in the shadowy corner or what’s around me has something to do with it. Like some days I’m fine, others I just kinda freak out a little, or get really tense and alert.

Even when I do freak out though, I’m usually able to force myself to sleep after an hour or so. Same with if I were to wake up in the middle of the night. Music helped with that too, but I am okay with letting that go.. Thanks for everyone’s thoughts and suggestions. I might just see how it goes?

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
Keep us posted, @TinySheep ! We care.

And frankly I started being like that when I was 10. I do have kind of an issue with my really bad eyesight, but I thought mine was due to noises I always heard.