• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Facinated by microwave

Jeep

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Chris Mclennan
Our IRN is facinated by his reflextion on the dull mirowave door and when it is opened he goes in. He has become slightly aggresive but will come onto my arm the jump back to the ledge. He squaukes at it and posess by lowering his shouilders and streaching his neck as he cherps at it. He is a rescue roughly about 4 years old, I have no history if he had a partner or company with his previous owner, who unfortunatly died. Any advice will be welcom. I have never used a forum before so can you email me with how it works. Thanks Jeep's owner.

Alien J

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Janet Rush Van Eyck
I really have no answer for you. I just wanted to welcome you to the Avenue.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Welcome to the Avenue Chris :)

I would always keep the microwave closed to avoid any accidents. You can use a piece of paper and tape it to the front to stop any reflections that may be attracting him. (Remember to remove it when using the machine, and replace afterwards)

Alien J

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Janet Rush Van Eyck
We keep a piece of paper towel taped over the scary green nunbers for TD. He's such a baby...or he's playing me like a fiddle.

Jeep

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Chris Mclennan
Thanks for your help but it now looks like he's regurgitating food to feed his reflection. Is this normal behaviour for an adult IRN

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
he's regurgitating food to feed his reflection
Try to cover all reflective surfaces with paper so that he´s unable to see his reflection.

Tazlima

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Try to cover all reflective surfaces with paper so that he´s unable to see his reflection.
This. Sounds like he has a mirror boyfriend. Interest in mirrors is normal and fine, but some birds take it to extremes, getting obsessed with and protective of their "mate."

In those cases, covering/removing reflective surfaces is your best bet.

I have a tiel who's prone to this. Every time he sees his reflection he serenades himself, and he'll visit one particular mirror every couple days for a flirting session. So far it hasn't progressed to obsession, but I've been keeping an close eye on their "relationship."

Last edited:

Alien J

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Janet Rush Van Eyck
I have a tiel who's prone to this
TD has had a mirror for several months (his first bcuz I was afraid he'd fall in love with his reflection...who wouldn't?). He just started interacting with it. It's right next to his food bowl and he's been having eating races with the "other bird".