• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Fabric

Leslie Cole

Meeting neighbors
So I know that fabric can be bad for birds to play with - getting pieces stuck in their crop etc.... are there any options for them that are safer but give them similar satisfaction in whatever it is that make them enjoy messing with it? My IRN loves to chew up my hair bands/pony tail holders but I don’t let him cuz I don’t think that is safe. Anyone have any ideas on something with similar feel that would be a safe alternative? I’m thinking not but thought I would ask.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
:bump7:

fashionfobie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
IRN are very prone to ingesting fibres, so good instinct taking those away. Some IRN like the texture of rubber duckies. These toys should still be part of supervised play, but they seem fascinated with that rubbery texture.

I have a few of these little ooshie toys from the Lion King release that they did through woolies. Pi will just squeeze it again and again. He doesn't get possessive of them, and they are laying about the play area. Sometimes he ignores them completely, but when he does interact with one he just squeezes it again and again. I also sometimes buy baby toys with the different textures and colours for Pi to experiment with. He will show a lot of interest in a new texture, but after he is satisfied the toy is basically ignored. Personally I trust some "human" baby toys more than texture dog toys because the laws surrounding baby safe toys. I have a pretty good idea that they don't have lead or poison.. Though.. It is highly important that all of these toys are part of supervised play. They aren't intended for birds and parrots can be very destructive if they want to be.

For in the cage toys stick to wooden blocks or natural leather strips. Pi loves squeezing leather again and again, but he doesn't ingest it. With leather make sure you wash the toys often.

Rain Bow

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I couldn't believe an IRN I watched on Youtube. He had one of those heavy rubber dinosaurs & it was like a brontosaurus or apatosaurus w/ the really long neck. It took that head off so quick. Sometimes in chunks which it spit iff & then it just snipped it's neck!

fashionfobie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
I couldn't believe an IRN I watched on Youtube. He had one of those heavy rubber dinosaurs & it was like a brontosaurus or apatosaurus w/ the really long neck. It took that head off so quick. Sometimes in chunks which it spit iff & then it just snipped it's neck!
Sounds like an IRN! :)