• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

F10 SC

WASP

Meeting neighbors
I am interested in the adding F10 SC into my weekly clean downs for my parrot room ( and maybe even other areas of the house?)
I have a compromised immune system., and I have to be careful about the cleanliness of my home. I was thinking buying some F10, since it is super concentrated, covers a broad spectrum of bacteria, virises, and fungi, and looks to be relatively safe(?)
From my understanding it is very concentrated, and you only need 4 ml of F10 to 1 liter of water for a heavy disinfection.
My questions are:
What do you use use F10 for?
Does it have a odor or scent?
Does it need to be rinsed away?
How long is the contact time for disinfection?
Does it kill mold?

:thanks: in advance!!
Wasp

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
I use it on just about everything.

Once dried, it is safe when used at the correct concentrations. It's low odor, it does not bother me at all.

I do dishes, spray perches and cages, use it in my carpet cleaner, humidifier, wash machine. I have even used it directly on a bird ( with vet consent ). I know people that have nebulized birds with it too.

Yes, it kills mold and much much more.

Bird Safe Cleaning| Non-Toxic Disinfectant| F10 - FREE Shipping

WASP

Meeting neighbors
Wow, so its safe for skin contact?
So you don't have to use gloves when cleaning with f10?
If you don't want to just let it Air dry, do you know the amount of time it takes f10 to disinfect?

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
No, I don't use gloves.

Someone here would tell you I have bathed in it once, I wont admit to it.

Each bacteri/fungus have different disinfectant times, I used to have a write up on each..

@Hankmacaw :)

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
F-10 biocare is the best disinfectant on the market today. It is completely non-caustic and therefore doesn't harm anything it comes into contact with. I do know of one person who had contact dermatitis from using it. You should satisfy yourself by reading up on it. I get get highly frustrated with people who continue to use vinegar and Focus ......, but that's me. @mythic55 did a very good write up on cleaning with F-10 after her baby AG died of PBFD. My vet uses it in his clinic and that's good enough for me

Yeah, Sarah bathed in it when her boy brought home one of the nasties that kids in school invariably have. It killed the nasty.

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
It's a fantastic disinfectant! I love how convenient it is. I leave it wet for 10 minutes, which kills the things that would be lurking around my birds environment, but I think there is an even higher amount of time you should leave it on, say if you work in a vets office. This is just from what I remember, so don't hold me to this in case I'm mistaken!

mythic55

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
I have a compromised immune system as well: 3 times a week
What do you use use F10 for? everything the birds touch outside and inside the enclosure
Does it have a odor or scent? A little 'soapy' but nothing terrible- there are different kinds of F10- one has suds, one is 'clean and clear'
Does it need to be rinsed away? The clean and clear does not need to be washed away and is safe for birds and humans alike
How long is the contact time for disinfection? it depends on the type of virus, there is oodles of information online. You need not worry about things like PBFD- as that is only contracted by certain species of birds and take a ridiculous time. But daily chores- I wipe on, and then wipe off.
Does it kill mold? Mold is not good. If you have it, then you need to take proper action to kill it- and seal it/patch it so it does not come back as it can harm you, and your birds- cleaner alone will not take care of it.

WASP

Meeting neighbors
Well, being Macawnutz has basically bathed in it, and Mythic55 uses it and has a compromised immune system as well, I'm going to go ahead and buy some.
But no I don't have a issue of mold growth, but my body is highly reactive to mold. It literally can send me to the hospital, so I have to be fastidious about mold and cleanliness. If F10 can kill mold spores, it would be a 2 birds with 1 stone kinda thing for me. I just need that psychological peace of mind that I killed any mold spores that *could* be growing. Parrots can be uber messy, and it freaks me out that a half eaten grape thrown under something by his Highness, could be growing mold right now. Bleach is really harsh and doesn't actually kill mold, so I use A LOT of -Concrobium as precautionary measures.
Wasp

Milo

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jenny
For most disinfectants you need a minimum contact time of at least a few minutes. For bleach solutions it's 10 minutes. Something else to take into consideration is that you should remove any organic material first because most disinfectants cannot penetrate it (this includes bird poop). I would look on F10's sites specifically to see what sort of testing they have done to back up their claims.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
@WASP F-10 kills Aspergillus and I can tell you from personal experience that Asper is as tough a nut to crack as a mold/fungus can be.

mythic55

Avenue Veteran
Well, being Macawnutz has basically bathed in it, and Mythic55 uses it and has a compromised immune system as well, I'm going to go ahead and buy some.
But no I don't have a issue of mold growth, but my body is highly reactive to mold. It literally can send me to the hospital, so I have to be fastidious about mold and cleanliness. If F10 can kill mold spores, it would be a 2 birds with 1 stone kinda thing for me. I just need that psychological peace of mind that I killed any mold spores that *could* be growing. Parrots can be uber messy, and it freaks me out that a half eaten grape thrown under something by his Highness, could be growing mold right now. Bleach is really harsh and doesn't actually kill mold, so I use A LOT of -Concrobium as precautionary measures.
Wasp
Make sure you buy the right type..... There are two labels- one is green (super suds- must be washed off), the other is blond (no need for rinse).
I ONLY use the blonde now. Only other cleaning products in the home are toilet cleaner (far away from birds), bio clean on occasion, or my own mix with lemon/orange rind, lemongrass, thyme, rosemary, mint, etc.

I have a modern home, and I am a bit OCD...... so having a 'clean smell' is mandatory as I cook a lot. So a simmer these ingredients on the stove- cool, and spray them on surfaces/fabric (depending on what it is... 'never fur or leather') to obtain that ;fresh' spa scent.

WASP

Meeting neighbors
Thanks Milo, that's exactly how I clean. A one, two punch. First clean debris, then sanitize, then rinse if necessary. This has worked really well for me.
I have been doing reading about F10, downloaded the msds info, and e-mailed the company a few questions. I will still be using -Concrobium on any visible mold, or any areas where their is a higher chance of mold growth, as its safe, kill mold, and prevents regrowth. If F10 SC is a good as I'm thinking it is, I'm sure I'll use it all over the house for sanitizing.
I already put my order in at MSBS I didn't want the ready to use or the green version with a surfactant, so I bought the blonde super concentrated version.
My orders from Kathy always come super fast so I am really excited for my order to come! I get so excited when I order parrot stuff its like Christmas when it comes!
But I've been looking around the net, and I am in love with MPBT atoms and boings! They look amazing and fun. I just have to figure out how to hang stuff from the ceiling.
:shopspree:

WASP

Meeting neighbors
UPDATE:
I have been been using F10 for cleaning for about a week and a half. I used it for for deep weekly cage cleanings, floors, toy cleaning, walls, daily cage wipe downs, sanitizing feeding bowls, well almost everything.
I actually have been using it for daily sanitizing of my japanese chins bowls, and cleaning bathrooms, door knobs, light switches, counters....OK basically my whole house.
This has been a wonderful change for me, With my weakened immune system. My lungs and skin are not irritated by F10 at all, unlike other cleaning solutions and sanitizers. So it has been added to my arsenal as my disinfectant of choice.
I really like F10 and would wholeheartedly recommend it.