• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Eyes bigger than ones belly!

RN48

Meeting neighbors
Hey,

So tonight I've experienced some new behaviour from one of my IRNs which I don't know if its normal for Parrots to do or not but as I say this is completely new for him to do.

So twice a week I fill the cups of there foraging Wall (as seen in the picture below) with sliced almonds (they love them!) as well as a pot of jelly (jelly more frequent as not as fattening). This is for them to graze from as well as there normal food. So after he's had his fair go at what he wants he comes out and sits on the door to his cage, and starts to regurgitate food, chew shallow and repeat - as mentioned above I've never seen him do this and the last time I've known him to be sick if you will, was when he was a baby and had, had too much formula.

So is this normal behaviour or should I be seeking veterinary help? - or am I just worrying too much over something that doesn't require it? Screenshot_20221122-204902.png

fashionfobie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
Parrots do regurgitate as a form of courtship, since they share food with mates. If your bird is doing this in a controlled manner and also pinning their eyes it may be courtship.

If your bird is vomiting it will be less controlled. They may fling their neck around wildly and show other signs of illness.

If it is courtship it will not require vet attention, if it is vomiting it will. Courtship should still be something potentially worrying, depending on the context of their behaviour. Although not easy to do, it is best to try and curb mating behaviour directed towards us (humans) since that can be confusing and unhealthy for the bird long term. If your bird starts courting you try to disengage from the situation. You can also try and increase the amount of foraging toys and feed more veggies and natural fruits.

I am unsure what you mean by the 'jelly' you are feeding your birds. Jelly as I know it would be an unacceptable food for birds. It has very high sugar in comparison to the vitamin benefits. Why not just feed a small amount of natural fruits? If the foraging toys you can do naturally dried (no additives) fruit also.

I hope this helps :)

RN48

Meeting neighbors
Thank you for your response and he was sat near my female IRN but they are siblings so I will discourage courtship between the two of them as obviously that wouldn't be ideal.
It was done in an controlled manner and there was no wild head flinging.
They do have plenty of foraging toys within there cage and plenty to do out of it also.

The jelly I'm talking about isn't human jelly if you will and I've attached a picture below as it is designed for birds. They do get plenty of fruit and veg throughout the day, as well as there complete bird pellets.

Thank you again it has helped at least i know I was worrying about normal behaviours (even if not desirable) Screenshot_20221123-214123.png

Attachments